Fourty Five

'Amelia, is that you?' Christine called from the kitchen, as I stepped foot in the door with Ryker beside me.

'Yeah!' I called back, nervously, as we walked up the passageway to the kitchen door.

'Where have you been so early?' she asked, as I pushed the door open and stepped in. 'I have a bone to pick with y-!'

'Hey,' Ryker said, awkwardly, as Christine glanced up and stopped talking the second she saw him.

'What the hell are you doing in my house?' she asked, her face twisting up.

'He's here because you need to stop being so hostile towards him and agree to make amends,' I told her.

'You're joking, right?' she replied. 'The last time I saw this boy he was standing in this very room telling you he wanted nothing more to do with you!'

'Actually, the last time you saw me was last night when I brought your drunk daughter safely home,' Ryker said, and my eyes widened at his response. 'Also, the last time you saw me before that, was when I was knocking on your door begging to see her so I could apologise for leaving her and you refused to tell me.'

'So, you're a smart arse too,' Christine muttered. 'I don't care for the attitude. I deal with enough of that from her!'

'Just chill and hear us out,' I sighed.

'I don't care what he has to say,' Christine said. 'He's bad news; that's all there is to it.'

'Look, I only said all of that to her that night in here because I had no choice but to try and make her hate me so she would forget about me and move on,' Ryker told her. 'I realised when I left town that I couldn't go ahead with leaving her and I came back. She knows now that it was all a lie.'

'And what's next?' Christine asked him.

'What do you mean?' he asked.

'A leopard never changes it's spots, Ryker,' she said, and I rolled my eyes as I cringed. 'You were cruel to her from the first day you set foot in this town.'

'She was cruel to me too,' he said. 'We drove each other crazy but that all changed and now I love her and I want to be with her so I really want you to know that I'm never going to hurt her again.'

'I find that very hard to believe,' Christine sighed.

'I'm not going to promise that I'll be the best boyfriend in the world because I probably won't be,' he told her. 'I'll fuck up, I'll probably piss her off a lot and I'll most likely make a few mistakes while I'm learning how to actually have a real relationship with her because I've never done it before with anyone, but what I do promise is that I'll never lie to her, I'll never intentionally hurt her feelings, I'll never betray her, never be unfaithful or disloyal and I mean every single word of that.'

I smiled at him as he poured his heart out to her and I glanced at Christine nervously as she eyeballed him carefully. She wasn't a stupid woman, she knew when someone was being genuine or not.

'So, are you together?' she asked, calmly.

'Umm...' I began mumbling, as I glanced at Ryker.

'Yes,' he answered, immediately. 'That's it now; no more drama, I promise you.'

'Hmm,' she said, softly, studying his serious and desperate expression. 'If that is really so, then fine, I'll say no more about it and you'll just both have to allow me the time to trust in this.'

'That's fair enough,' Ryker said. 'Thank you.'

'I mean it when I say I need time,' she said. 'I'll be accepting of it, but it doesn't mean I'm not preparing for the next time she comes home in tears so you will have to prove yourself because you have developed quite a name for yourself, Ryker.'