Twenty One

As I stood frozen, it took me a second to realise that my lips were slightly puckered...with Ryker's pressed against them. My eyes popped open and I took a step back, frowning up at him as he opened his eyes and looked down at me, his expression still and relaxed.

'What the hell was that?' I asked, my voice weak and low.

My eyes flickered side to side as I studied Ryker's nonchalant expression, staring back at me. It was the closest I had ever been to him; the closest I had ever been to his eyes and they were beautiful. I could see the vivid detail of the smallest flecks of the iris, his skin this close really was as smooth as it looked from a distance and as my eyes dropped down to his lips, I watched as he parted them slightly before gently biting down on his bottom lip, sending a surge of butterflies through my stomach. Without even thinking about it, my body took over and I bolted forward, swinging my arms around his neck as I planted my lips back on his.

This time was not as soft and hesitant as when he had kissed me a few seconds before, this time he gripped onto my waist firmly as I clutched the back of his neck and he pulled my body against his. Our feet began to move around the room frantically as we tried to keep our balance without parting our mouths. He kissed me aggressively and I let him, kissing him back with just as much passion as he was giving to me. It felt good. It felt like the best kiss I'd ever had and the growing heat between my legs turned into a throb as I felt the sudden urge to began removing his clothing.

Then something else happened...Mason. His perfectly sculpted face and emerald green eyes popped into my head and I froze, jumping away from Ryker as my fingertips moved to my lips and I spun around, looking away from him.

'Oh my god,' I whispered to myself. I was finally realising what we had just done. With Ryker's lips no longer hypnotising me, I could see clearly that I had just made the most horrible decision of my life. I had kissed Mason's best friend. He had kissed me too. We were awful people.

'Amelia?' Ryker's voice made me spin around and my eyes widened as I took in his slouched stance and serious expression. His eyes were soft as he watched my movements and I could see that this was certainly no practical joke or secret ploy; this was real.

'I should go,' I mumbled, glancing at the door.

'It's alright, Amelia,' Ryker said, slowly moving towards the counter and leaning against it as he kept his eyes on the wall in front of him. 'We don't have to speak of this again.'

'So we pretend it never happened?' I asked. 'Ryker, we have to tell Mason about this.'

'You're right,' Ryker sighed. 'I don't know what came over me.'

'Ditto,' I muttered.

'Well, you two aren't even together so it's not like you've cheated on him,' Ryker said.

'He's your best friend,' I said. 'It was wrong on so many levels just because of that.'

'I know,' Ryker replied, nodding slowly as his stuck his tongue in his cheek. 'But hey, I was right after all.'

'About what?' I asked.

'About something going on between us,' Ryker said. 'I said there was only one way to find out; turns out that was it.'

'What is that supposed to mean?' I asked.

'Are you going to deny it?' he asked. 'Are you going to deny that you liked what we just did?'

'Shut up,' I sighed, shaking my head and pinching the bridge of my nose. He was right...I'd liked it a lot, but that was wrong.

'You did,' he continued. 'It's alright; I did too.'