Fourteen

'So, then you just tap this button right here and your cash tray will pop right out and you'll see the change displayed on the screen right there.'

I nodded along as I took in all of the information I was receiving from Becky, a perky, blonde haired, blue eyed girl who was a shift manager at Bernie's and helping me through my trial shift.

'I think I've got it,' I replied, giving her a grateful smile.

'Great,' she replied. 'It's pretty simple; the till does all the work for you. Just remember to keep smiling and focus on giving excellent customer service and you'll be just fine.'

'Sure,' I said, nodding.

'I'll be right out back if you need me,' she said, giving me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before leaving me.

After abandoning Mason at his house by telling him we were done after my argument with Ryker, I had stormed home only to find out from Christine that Bernie had been happy to give me a shot at the job. The very next day, she'd invited me for my trial shift and I was doing my best to focus on learning the ropes on the takeout counter whilst dealing with the constant whirlwind of thoughts in my head.

I glanced up as a customer approached and forced on my cheesiest smile. 'Welcome to Bernie's, what can I get for you?'

As the customer spoke, I did my best to find the menu items as quickly as possible on the screen and adjust the meals according to the customer's wishes. I managed to put the order through correctly and take their payment, feeling a small wave of relief at succeeding with my very first customer.

'Thank you so much,' I told the customer. 'If you wait right over there your order will be out very soon.'

'That was brilliant, Amelia!' I spun around as Becky appeared and gave me a high-five.

'Thanks,' I said, chuckling awkwardly. 'I didn't realise you were watching me.'

'I was working and listening at the same time,' she said. 'You did really great and how did you find putting the order through?'

'Not bad at all,' I replied. 'I'll get to know the system a little better and get faster.'

'Well, you seem okay with the takeout counter but I'd like to try you on the restaurant,' she said. 'Your section is tables one to eight and you just head right over when a group take a seat and offer them drinks, give them some time to check out the menu and head back to take their food order. Let me show you the handheld terminal and how to input the orders into the system.'

'Okay,' I said, stepping closer to her as she pulled out a small, black device.

She began to show me around the device and I nodded as I paid close attention, my eyes flickering up as the door opened and I prayed I wouldn't see anybody from school when I was on my trial shift; I knew someone would try and give me a hard time.

As I continued to nod and focus on Becky's words, my eyes lifted again as the bell rang and I wanted to sink into the floor as I spotted Mason and Ryker enter.

'Then once you press submit, it sends the order right through to the kitchen,' Becky said. 'You get all that?'

'Yeah,' I lied. 'Thanks.'

'Okay, I'll leave you to it,' she said, handing me the device. 'Tables one to eight are all of those down the right side so you get on that and just give me a shout if you get stuck.'

'Yeah,' I replied. 'Thank you.'

I watched as Mason and Ryker walked through the restaurant, praying that they would not sit in my section as I concealed myself behind a narrow, stone podium at the side of the counter. I continued to watch as they walked to the centre of the restaurant, feeling hopeful that they would sit there until Mason pointed out a free table by the window at the right hand side.