4 | training

" When life gets hard, don't wish it to be easier, decide to be stronger

" When life gets hard, don't wish it to be easier, decide to be stronger."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

When Hazel arrived back in the barracks with the new weapon, automatically all eyes were looking towards her.

" Is that the new one?" Catherine asked immediately standing up with wide eyes, admiring the weapon.

" Yep." Hazel said as she slowly sat down on Catherine's bed and adjusted the weapon in her lap. Catherine sat beside her as she felt Lizzie move in on her other side. Catherine looked at it as Pat came over with a cigarette in her lips.

" Shit, Hazel, that the new on?" she asked, and Hazel looked up nodding.

" Whoa." Lucia said.

" Thermes was the one to get it for me, at least that's what Wilson said." Hazel said softly, her eyes looking over the entire weapon.

" Thermes?" Lizzie asked. Hazel nodded.

" I was just as surprised when Wilson said so." Hazel said.

" Thermes reminds me of my high school statistics teacher Dr. Henderson. The guy was nuts. Complete ass to my entire Statistics class, kids dropped out, forced themselves to be kicked out, all sorts of stuff. But he meant well. In the end, if I hadn't had his class I would've never been in that top spot. If it wasn't for him I would never been prepared for college. Sure, it was tough, the tests were horrible, and he made you stand in front of the class and show that you know how to solve a problem. But it helped me through. That's how I'm approaching this asshole." Catherine said gazing at the group of women surrounding the weapon.

" Damn, really?" Pat said shaking her head, " You probably are better off than most."

" And that's why I'm here." Catherine said and Hazel smiled at her. Catherine was truly meant to be here. 

The following day after the morning run, which was slowly becoming easier which each torturing run and torment from Thermes, the first mail call came. The first since the women had been there. Laura and Barbara were the ones to deliver it to 2nd platoon with help from Loughty and soon everyone was able to read letters from their family members, which allowed a sense of security through the stressful week or training and classes, with virtually no days off.

Dear Hazel,

I hope you are doing well, I'm missing you a lot more than I have in the past summers. Picking those tomatoes isn't the same without you. I miss you so much, but I know you are doing a good thing and that they wanted you there and that's what I tell myself everyday. The sunrises have been beautiful, and I've started making my own tea in the morning. It's herbal tea, healing tea, you're favorite. I wish I could just send you a box of the tea but I know the Army wouldn't exactly be too fond of that.