61 | the will of the fight

" Courage is fear holding on a minute longer

" Courage is fear holding on a minute longer."

- General George S. Patton

✰✰✰

" I don't think that's how that works Joe," Hazel said as Joe glanced at her, pulling his hand back from rock, paper scissors with a smirk.

" You sure, Parker?" Joe said, " Because I know rock covers scissors and paper, paper covers rock, but gets cut by scissors and scissors cut paper but get crushed by rocks." Hazel smirked at him.

" Oh really, Mr? Paper covers rock." she said as her 'paper' covered the rock. Joe looked at her.

" You know I'm right." she said proudly, leaning back against her bed, headstand with a growing smirk on her face. Joe smirked shaking his head.

" I don't-" Before Joe could finish, a voice was heard over everyone's.

" Start packing your gear! We've been called to the front!" Bill's voice called over the group. Hazel slowly looked over her eyes widening, fear skyrocketing her entire system.

" The front?" she whispered sitting up. Everyone knew about the fighting from the 28th and the 4th in Belgium. But they were supposed to be winning. 

Why was the Airborne being called up? 

Hazel gently met Joe's gaze, as hers became riddled with worried. He watched her eyes. She bit back her lip and looked over towards her sniper which was lent up against her bed, all shiny and cleaned up, with a new scope fitted to it - just an updated version of the Redfield, where condensation was almost nonexistent. She sighed, and felt Joe's gentle hand on her shoulder. She looked towards him with a soft smile. 

His eyes were telling her it'd be okay. 

It had to be. 

But to the front with Lieutenant Dike; that scared her. 

Everyone began packing up, shoving things in their bags and Hazel made sure to pack as many socks as she could shove into her bag, as well as scarves. She slowly clasped the Star of David and softly kissed it before placing it on her neck with the dog tags. She put on an extra army issued sweater, and pulled her ODs on overtop before adding the scarf around her neck, tucking it in around her neck. Her gloves would freeze to her skin, but they were the only thing she had to combat the cold and her tiny fingers. 

What the hell was going on? 

Nixon gave orders for Catherine to find Peacock. Catherine found the man in the snow flurries, eyes searching for someone. Clearly it was her, when he saw her and went running towards her.

" Catherine." he said as he approached.

" Hey, Tom." she said, " What the fuck's going on?"