69 | always hope

" No matter how difficult life becomes, there is always hope

" No matter how difficult life becomes, there is always hope."

- Drew Pinsky

✰✰✰

Catherine sat on a stool in the CP wide awake. 

Peacock had come by the CP after dinner and seen the girl, sitting worriedly, and asked if she wanted to go back to the foxhole, but she'd declined. But everyone else was on edge and awake as well. 

Winters was awake, and sipping bland coffee, Nixon had scrounged up a cigarette and was smoking it to take off the edge that never really overwhelmed him, but did now. Harry was asleep nearby, he was the only one that had managed some rest at the moment, after he had reassured the group multiple times she'd be ok. 

That Hazel would be ok. 

Lip had visited until it was so late that he grew exhausted and cold by the 3rd visit, but he was worried for Hazel. Dike was nowhere to be found, but everyone had figured as much; he was never where he was supposed to be. 

Instead, Liebgott had made a few frequent visits. The first time, him and Catherine talked, and the second time as well. By the third time, he was anxious that she wasn't back yet, but Catherine had told him to get rest and they'd see her in the morning. 

Catherine was still awake at the moment. She was biting her frozen finger, worriedly, her heart racing. 

Hazel may not know it, but she was kinda of the only stable one among the girls at the moment, even if she didn't think it. Lizzie was getting sick, and sicker by the day, and Catherine, herself, was distraught over Julian. Hazel however, whatever had been stuck in her mind, had turned her into one of the warmest people out here, remaining optimistic and positive among the group. Catherine was so thankful for her in that way and for the sisterly love she provided. 

Catherine couldn't lose Hazel to the bullet of a German and neither could the men or the women. No one could. Catherine kept her eyes out towards where she had led Hazel towards when her patrol had first started. She knew Hazel could do this though; she'd trained hours for this, days, over 2 years. 

This was her moment. 

Then she began to see a figure, a tiny figure's outline in the shimmering of the moonlight, and a body on the figure's back. They stumbled a few times, they tripped, but their grip on the person remained strong and determined. Catherine slowly rose from her stool.

" It's Hazel," Catherine whispered. Winters looked up from his mug and Nixon slowly rose. Harry shook himself away.

" Hazel," Catherine repeated, as Hazel came into view, her nose bright red, black rings under her eyes from exhaustion, her face pale white, her lips blue, her fingers white and shriveled from snow and cold. Catherine turned and raced out of the CP and hurried towards Hazel and the body.