35 | the duty of a combat medic

" One of the most important things you can do on this Earth is to let people know they are not alone

" One of the most important things you can do on this Earth is to let people know they are not alone."

- Unknown 

✰✰✰

Lizzie had long ago helped Gene get the man they aided to the side, before taking off again. She continued to help fallen soldiers to cover or the side, treating their wounds before moving on to the next person, wanting to help each and every one. 

Lizzie picked her way carefully through the rubble, as spare bullet rounds occasionally whizzed past once and a while. Lizzie crouched beside a brick wall and glanced around the corner, digging into her medic satchel and taking inventory of what remained in her pack. As a bullet, which she had predicted to fly by at some point, flew by, she slowly stood, holding her helmet to her head as she crossed the street to the other side and slowly began making her way down another alley way. 

She stopped at the sight in front of her that broke her already wounded heart.

" Lieb." she whispered, as her hand fell from her satchel and she slowly walked forward. Tipper was covered in blood and wounds, shaking in Liebgott's comforting arms. Tip had always been there, through all the training, all the moments with Sobel and his mixed up maps. But Lizzie trudged forward and gently approached the situation with a calming nature.

" Hey there, Tip." Lizzie whispered stepping forward and crouching in front of him, looking close at his one eye that was open wide and fearful. Lieb watched as Lizzie carefully assessed the wounds and gently talked to Tipper, calming him down with her voice and gentle touches the entire time. Lizzie watched as his entire body shook in fear as Joe held him so gently and comfortingly against his body. Lizzie gently brought up her hands to smooth some of the blood from his facial features, like his mouth and nose.

" There you go." Lizzie said, " You'll be okay, I promise." Tip let out a shaky breath as Joe watched her earnestly.

" I'm gonna get you evacuated safely, okay?" Lizzie said, bringing her hand to Tip's hand, and Tipper nodded.

" Help me move him, Joe." she said Joe nodded, shaken up as well from what she could tell. Lizzie stood on the other side as Joe lifted Tipper to his feet. Lizzie moved to wrap Tipper's other arm around her neck before they began walking him to where the sign hung for the suspected aid station, as bleak rounds came back from the retreating Germans that moved into the field, the marshes and the hedgerows around that of Carentan. 

When the trio arrived at the aid station, Lizzie carefully, with help from Joe, lowered Tipper onto a bed, adjusting the pillow under his head as he did so.

" Hey, Tip, I'm going to grab a few things and then I'll be right with you, okay? You'll be okay." Lizzie said, gently leaning forward to brush some hair from his face.