52 | crossroads

" You may see me struggle but you'll never see me quit

" You may see me struggle but you'll never see me quit."

- Unknown 

✰✰✰

A few hours passed, as Hazel rested and barely moved from her position, exhausted, and warn out and achy still, with that persistent fever.

" You want a few crackers?" Luz had asked her, leaning over with bright white crackers. She nodded, and took a few from Luz as she ate them slowly. He passed her, her own canteen, which she sipped from.

" I hate being sick." she mumbled as she bit another cracker. Luz looked over at her with a small smile.

" You'll get better soon," Luz said with a smile, " I know you." Hazel smiled.

" This is it, boys. Get across the river, across the field and over the dike."

" That's a lot of territory to cover."

" Where'd you want us to go?" Hashey's voice came in asking Tab and Dukeman where to go. Hazel glanced over as she nibbled on her crackers slowly.

" You Hashey, you get the penthouse." Dukeman said.

" Thank you." Hashey said with exhaustion.

" We're up top." she heard Hashey say as the trio of men slowly walked away.

" Well, that's a lot of territory to cover." she heard Tab say.

" A couple of regular GI Joe's, huh?" Dukeman said with a slight laugh.

" You said it." Tab said with a smile. 

" C'mon." Tab said to Trigger before leading him over towards Winters, Hazel and Luz again. Hazel looked up and saw Tab and Trigger and smiled slightly, sniffling, as Trigger came over in between her and Luz and began licking her face again.

" New guys giving the replacements the what for, and why is." Tab said as he sat down close by to Winters. Winters glanced over at him.

" I swear one of them's never shaved." Tab said, and Hazel smiled watching Luz feed Trigger a cracker.

" Yeah, kids." Winters said.

" This is a hell of a dog, Tab." Luz said as the dog began licking his hand for another cracker.

" Thank you," Tab said rather proudly, throwing a stick," There you go."

" What'd you call it, Tab?" Winters asked him, as Luz put the phone on the radio up to his ear again.

" Trigger." Tab said, and Hazel smiled, as Luz handed Hazel another cracker which she ate gratefully.

" That's good, I like that, Trigger." Luz said looking towards the two.