70 | the stand

" Strong people stand up for themselves, but stronger people stand up for others

" Strong people stand up for themselves, but stronger people stand up for others."

- Suzy Kassem

✰✰✰

They drove back to the line with their boxes and supplies and Gene took to administering supplies to all the medics with Spina, but telling Lizzie to get some rest.

" I'm fine, Gene, it's not a true fever." Lizzie said, and Gene glanced at the men before stepping toward her.

" If you don't rest, it'll become one," he said and then smiled at her. She sighed with a smile and nodded.

" I'll stock you up in a bit," Gene told her and she nodded. Lizzie wadded through the foxholes when Catherine came up to her. She looked exhausted, but she had been wide awake with Hazel's solo patrol.

" Lizzie!" Catherine called as she approached.

" Hey, Mack," Lizzie said as Catherine stopped in front of her.

" Did you head into town? Everyone said the medics went into Bastogne for supplies." Catherine said. Lizzie nodded.

" Yeah, Gene and Spina are handing out supplies now to the other medics." Lizzie said.

" Hey, you ok?" Catherine asked her.

" It's just a slight fever," Lizzie said with an honest nod. And Catherine's eyes widened.

" Lizzie you didn't say you had a fever," Catherine said as Lizzie looked down sadly.

" It's a slight fever and slight cold, Gene just wants me resting right now." Lizzie said, " I'll be fine."

" Well you rest then, you got a foxhole?" Catherine asked her.

" Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine." Lizzie said and offered a small smile. Catherine watched her worriedly.

" Alright, you go rest now okay, think about yourself here and just rest, please." Catherine said rubbing her shoulder and Lizzie nodded as Catherine squeezed her shoulder.

" Thanks, Mack," Lizzie said softly and Catherine smiled with a nod.

" Now, go, rest." Catherine said sending her off with a smile. She deserved it. 

Hazel was wadding her way towards the breakfast line, arms crossed over her chest. That morning, she'd woken up to the sound of planes overhead, blue skies, sunshine and Liebgott next to her. To say the least, she was still exhausted, but happy she had done her duty. 

Now, she was heading towards the breakfast line, which was close to turning to lunch by now. Hazel walked up and gratefully took the bowl of cold oatmeal, and went and sat down on a nearby log that was covered in snow. She sat down and feebly at the cold oatmeal, but she was hungry, she didn't care.