31 | d-day plus one

" Trust yourself

" Trust yourself. You survived a lot, and you'll survive whatever is coming." 

- Robert Tew

✰✰✰

When Hazel awoke on D-Day plus one, there was a warm breeze coming in through a nearby open door and there was a hint of sunlight shining on her face. And she was a bit sweaty in her uniform. Hazel slowly sat up, her head heavy, eyes struggling to remain open as she looked around and saw she was on the cot Gene had told her to sleep in last night. Hazel groaned as she swung her feet over the edge and rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands. As she stood, all her bones and muscles seemed to crack and stretch together, and she couldn't contain the yawn that slipped past her lips. Hazel glanced over and saw her helmet, pack and weapon lying by the side of her cot. She slowly reached down to grab her weapon and shoulder it before, swinging her pack on her back and then grabbing her helmet in her sweaty hands. She slowly stepped out of the building where the cot was and into the bright sunshine, and the pale blue skies that encased the morning of June 7th. It was beautiful, even in war.

Hazel looked around and noticed a church nearby, a bit bombed out, the roof caved in, but she assumed that the door would be open. Hazel slowly approached the church, looking up towards the church bell that once run so gleefully. Hazel gently pushed open the door and stepped inside. The gentle wind pushed the door open a bit as Hazel looked around with wide eyes. The roof had fallen in a bit and there was rubble pretty much everywhere, but the statue of God at the end of the isle was still there. And there was a person in front of it. Hazel gently walked forward and as she neared, she clearly saw it was Gene.

" Gene?" Hazel asked quietly. The medic slowly turned at the sound of her voice.

" Hey, Hazel." Gene said. 

" Hey," she said as she slowly knelt down beside Gene and glanced at him.

" I came in here to pray." he said softly.

" Can I pray with you?" Hazel asked him softly. Gene nodded. Hazel turned forward and listened to Gene's quiet prayer, his voice soft and gentle, as he spoke. Hazel shut her eyes gently, praying to God. When Gene finished, she cleared her throat.

" My prayer for you dear friend is that the Lord will turn your weeping into dancing. He will give you a reason to not just smile but laugh again. The Lord will see you through this difficult situation and comfort you on all sides. Amen." Hazel whispered through shut eyes, her mind going out to both Lizzie and Catherine, and each and every man still missing from Easy Company. Gene and Hazel continued to pray for a little bit until they were left in a soft silence, where some chatter from the men were heard, as well as the wind blowing into the church through its open windows.

" Thank you Gene." Hazel said and Gene looked over at her with a smile and a nod.

" Catherine's going to be ok." Hazel promised the medic, because even medics needed some reassurance sometimes, they were still humans.