15 | the training in england

" The bond that links your true family is not one of blood but of respect and joy in each other's life

" The bond that links your true family is not one of blood but of respect and joy in each other's life." 

- Richard Bach

✰✰✰

Within that Monday however, the intense training schedule that generally everyone was anticipating finally approached them all. With their weekend of fun in Swindon having passed by then, serious facades fell upon everyone. 

Hazel set times to get to bed early to ensure she could wake up with enough time in the morning and Grace graciously would wake up early to provide her food other than the horrid Army breakfast which they were both grateful for. 

That first week was more-or-less hell. 

They were going almost 10 hours a day in the field going through multiple types of training. Hikes were something that Sobel enjoyed around the English countryside in full gear that ranged from 15 to 25 miles, with Sobel leading, in one of the most prideful manners as well. Each night was a new night operation, that made everyone get virtually about 4 hours of sleep when all was said and done. Close-combat exercises were another of Sobel's favorites. 

Hazel always found herself partnered with Shifty on those however, with their similar heights and builds and Hazel had never been more grateful, but she was always sore. To say that Hazel's back hurt a bit after that would be an understatement with the amount of time's she and Shifty had to flip each other over each other's shoulders. Hazel could tell Shifty was just the slightest bit nervous flipping the girl over his shoulder, only because she was tiny, but she told him to just do it. When Shifty would look at her after doing so, she'd simply smile up at him and get up ready to do it again. 

She was a mighty little thing for sure. 

But then Hazel gave Shifty a run for his money when he would do it to him, and Shifty found that her moves were quick and sharp and defined, like they'd be worked on almost expertly. 

Shifty was intimidated by that, but he didn't entirely mind. 

There were also afternoons spent in street fighting, which Hazel thought was rather chaotic, that nervous laughs would accidentally leave her system as she ran beside a member of 2nd platoon along a rode and would scare a nearby civilian.

One maneuver was led by Second Platoon's own Bill Guarnere as Hazel remained in his squad with Catherine leading 3rd Squad through a field.

" Hazel on me." Bill said, giving her a thumbs up. Hazel gave a quick thumbs up and then patted Chuck on the shoulder who was in front of her and followed after Bill. Bill moved across the street quickly, before moving up along the side of a building across the way. Hazel did a quick peek around the corner and then hurried across, slamming in next to Bill with a nod.

" I want you set up here," Bill said pointing to the ground," facing here," he said and motioned to her left. She nodded to him and he patted her back before moving back across the street to the rest of the squad. Hazel got on her stomach on the cold concrete, and set up her scope, which she set to safety as she could see civilians clearly through it.