79 | when the star goes out

" Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be

" Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape."

- Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

✰✰✰

All Catherine could think about was Malarkey. He had lost Bill, Joe, Buck and now his best friends Skip and Penkala. She couldn't imagine the pain in his heart. The girls had been friends with Skip and Penkala and they'd been such fun people, Hazel didn't even know how to react to knowing they were dead, they were just gone. Her heart felt heavy when she saw Malarkey and George and Lip and a few others cleaning out the foxhole. Malarkey looked so sad and emotional distressed. She felt horrible just seeing him lose so many people. 

Buck, Joe, Bill, Skip, Penkala. 

5 of his best friends. 

But Hazel couldn't cry, she had to be strong for Malarkey, if he saw people crying it might hurt him even more. They moved back into their old position which overlooked Foy, but everyone was worried for Don Malarkey. 

Everyone. 

Every private through Lieutenant was worried for the man. 

Especially Winters. 

Catherine was close with the two, and she had seen them in their final moments, so, she took it upon herself to put a brave face up for Malarkey. Catherine moved towards Malarkey's foxhole that he was sharing with Babe now. 

When Catherine approached, she saw that Hazel was sitting beside him and talking to him. Hazel's voice was like an angel talking in Malarkey's ear. It was also so genuine and sweet, he was so glad Hazel had visited him.

" When this is over, we'll play darts again, we'll make our own team." she said, as she grabbed his hand in his, and squeezed it tight.

" Yeah," Malarkey said with a smile looking at the girl.

" I'm gonna go, make sure Shifty finished covering the foxhole." Hazel said softly as Malarkey nodded. She gently reached forward and kissed his cheek before leaning back and smiling at him. He smiled at her with sad eyes.

" See ya, Malark." she said before standing with a tiny smile and leaving the foxhole. When she left, she spotted Catherine standing there. Catherine smiled at her and Hazel glanced back at Malarkey. She looked at Catherine again and nodded. Hazel watched as Catherine slowly sat in next to Malarkey. Hazel sighed to herself and then headed forward.

" Hazel," she heard a voice call and she turned to see it was Lip.

" Hey, Lip." she said, as a tiny smile spread across her face.

" How're you doing?" he asked her when he arrived by her side.

" Not that great, but I'm putting on a brave face, for Malarkey." she said softly. Lip smiled at her.