34 | carentan

" Courage in danger is half the battle

" Courage in danger is half the battle."

- Plautus

✰✰✰

On D-Day plus 6, Easy Company awoke within the early hours of the morning, just as the first of the sun's rays were beginning to make their daily appearance. They ate the last bits of the K-rations they were all provided, sipped their water from the canteens and then were on the move. They moved along a dusty road that lead towards the town. 

As Hazel walked, she felt her feet with each step give a dull ache, mainly from all the walking they had done. Lip was just a few people in front of her, talking quietly with Lieutenant Welsh. They were discussing the offensive of Carentan; she knew how the officers were with Easy, they cared so deeply for the men of the company and just wanted the best for the company as they marched towards the battle. 

By the late morning, it was a bright and sunny day, and it was extremely hot, the sun blistering down on the soldiers, as they were crammed into the dips in the side of the road. There was a creaking coming from a door or shutters from a building in the town close by. The crickets were chirping in the heat as sweat trickled down the many paratroopers' faces. Smoke billowed from certain buildings, going into the blue and slightly cloudy sky. 

Hazel was near the front, surprisingly, even as a sniper. She was in her entire get up of gear, with more face paint on her face than the rest, the sweat falling down her face thickly. The gun was slippery in her hands and the heat that moved up from the rocks under her into her ODs made her sweat more in her extra layer of coverage. 

Her instructions had been simply. 

Coming upon the village had been exactly what she had expected, based on what she had scoped out on previous nights. Buildings surrounded the outer edge of the town and she would have to more in towards the town so she could see things such as the center of the town and larger main streets and places were sniper could possibly be crammed into. Starting out at the front was her best bet. She glanced towards Winters a little bit in front of her and watched as his lips moved speaking to Welsh. He was quick in his tone and words before turning and moving up the center of the road slowly, step by step before peaking up over the edge again. He shuffled back, before stopping at Welsh and glancing at his watch.

" Go." she saw him mouth.

" Let's go, 1st, let's go!" Welsh called in a whisper to first platoon. Harry then slowly stood up a bit, and hurried forward, Luz on his tale.

" Go, go, go!" Winters called going down the row of soldiers on either side. Hazel stayed on the ground to the side as soldiers ran forward, and her heart dropped when she heard a German voice call out, and then shots sounded and fired. A soldier or two dropped as Luz and Welsh continued forward and out of site behind a building.