39 | the return to aldbourne

" A bird sitting in a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because it's trust is not in the branch, but in its wings

" A bird sitting in a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because it's trust is not in the branch, but in its wings." 

- Unknown

✰✰✰

Easy Company and the rest of the 101st Airborne returned to Aldbourne. 

Hazel was in her fresh and stiff ODs, as she slowly approached the Burnett's home, a relief filling her heart as she watched the familiar home which had seen her through sickness and health appear. 

Hazel recognized that they had painted the shutters, just like Grace had always said she had wanted to, and the tiny flowers out front seemed replanted since the time Hazel had been gone. They were bright colors, like yellow, orange and a deep red and they were probably the most beautiful flowers Hazel had seen in a while, besides her mother's flowers of course. Her mother always grew the most beautiful flowers she'd ever seen. Or perhaps even the Edelweiss flower upon the green-eyed German was the most beautiful. 

It was the little things in life she felt. 

Hazel slowly walked up the little cobblestone walkway towards the home and as she approached it she admired the tiny porch which had plenty of potted plants that had adorable little painted designs among the sides which reminded Hazel of children's drawings back as a child. Hazel felt her heart warm at the feeling of finally being in a place that resembled home. Hazel slowly knocked against the oak wooden door and watched as footsteps were heard on the other side. Then the door opened and Hazel saw Grace on the other side, with wide eyes.

" Hazel!" Grace shouted, jumping forward, and pulling the girl into a hug. Hazel quickly wrapped her arms around Grace and squeezed her eyes shut forcing the tears that wanted to appear to not roll down her cheeks in that moment. She always said it, but a good hug always meant the world to Hazel. Grace pulled back and gently cupped Hazel's face with her warm hands. 

" We're so glad you're here." Grace said and Hazel smiled, forcing herself not to cry. The hospitality that Grace and Henry had also provided had always been that of a comfort Hazel had missed while in Athene and in the barracks with the RAF.

" I'm glad I'm here too." Hazel said and Grace smiled.

" C'mon in, we'll get you a bath, some fresh clothes, we'll get you fed." Grace said pulling her inside the beautiful foyer which seemed to even have more pictures hanging upon the walls. 

" I see you've noticed the new photos." Grace said as Hazel stopped and stared at them. There was one of her, Hazel, working on the farm. Hazel's eyes grew soft.

" Harry! It's Hazel!" called Grace and Hazel turned to see Harry coming out of the living room down a step from the kitchen.

" My oh my Hazel!" Harry said as he placed down the book and came forward to wrap Hazel in a warm hug, " How are you dear?"