16

Hayley

Today was the day. It had been tense for me all morning, it felt as if I were on the verge of getting a beating as Hunters mood did a nosedive. Any sudden movement from him caused me to flinch, like when he would reach up to comb his hair back. Surely he would find a way to blame me and beat the crap out of me. It was practical with him. So my eyes and focused stayed glued on his hands and his expressions.

But finally I made it through the day without being pulled into a closet to berate and smack around.

Hunter walked me to the library and when we were in front of Cayden, he gave me a very deep and long kiss, his tongue swirling around mine. And then finally he was gone, giving one last smirk to Cayden, before he left.

After school he had to tend to pack duties so it was the perfect escape. He wouldn't be able to hang around and spy on us even if he wanted to. And he couldn't send another pact member to do it while a meeting was being called. One thing his family did care about other than money, was the pact and being in charge. Hunter would never ruin it in fear of being disowned.

"Cayden," I whispered with a smile as I sat down, pulling my hair out of the ponytail, Hunter made me wear, so the large hickies he gave me were visible.

Instead, I let my wavy hair fall down covering up most of the bruises.

Today, I was wearing a gray long sleeved shirt with black skinny jeans. Simple.
"I'm so happy to see you," he said simply, wearing his usual, white T-shirt and faded jeans. For his part he pretended not to see the hickies. Or mention the exaggerated make out scene.

"Same." We shared another smile.
God what am I doing? What's wrong with me? Smiling at another male? That's grounds for a bone break.

My heart sped up as he reached out and grabbed my hand gently. I nearly jumped out of my skin, having another person touching me, other than Hunter. It had been so long it felt like. Instantly, and feeling uncomfortable, I snatched my hand back and cleared my throat. His hand had felt warm and it was nice, even for a second. But it caused a bundle of nerves to build up inside of me.

"Why are you with him?" He boldly asked as his eyes intently watched me. "Watching you guys. It feels like he controls your every move. And to be honest, it's like everyone here, human or were is afraid to even speak to you for fear of Hunter."

I shook my head, feeling slightly disgusted. "I love him. And stop watching," I raised an eyebrow at him. "Besides I don't want to talk about him." Venom seemed to drip from my voice.

He nodded slowly. "So let's talk about you."

That instantly made my tense muscles start to relax. But it made my mind go blank. Me? What was there even to talk about? Sometimes I went to school, then I went home. Nothing else.

"What do you want to know?" The real question was what was I willing to share with a stranger. What if Hunter got him mad and he yelled that "that's why your girl was flirting with me in the library!" As revenge words not knowing it could literally get me killed.

"What's your favorite color?"

I laughed at the simple question. "I don't even know."

"What c'mon what color do you mostly wear?"

"Uh black?" I indicated to my outfit.

He shook his head and laughed, "Hayley, that's not a color, ok fine. What's your favorite song?"

My mind went completely blank yet again. Great, I'm such a bore. But I didn't have favorite anything. Music made me feel too deeply so I mostly ignored it when I could. There was nothing that brought me joy. Only sorrow. My life simply wasn't normal. Wasn't like everyone else's.