Cayden

All day, I watched with clenched fists as Hayley trailed after Hunter, her focus seeming to only be on him, not even noticing me, not ever look over like she used to, us sharing a secret look. I wanted to tell it it was ok, I was safe now and I would make sure she was safe too. But as the day went on, watching them, I knew it was not ok.

I could see it in her face when she looked at him.

Devotion.

A sick feeling rose inside of me as I realized what I was witnessing.

I've seen it all before. A cold fist seemed to plunge into my chest and grip my heart and at the same time I felt my stomach drop as the realization hit me.

What did that bastard do to her? What would have made her do it?

Gasping, I turned away from the couple now, heading out of the noisy cafeteria, and finding myself outside, breathing in the crisp air as a red hot rage overtook me. Screaming out my frustration, I started to slam my fist over and over into the brick wall of the school.

"No, no," I cried as Matt's face filled my mind and the look now on Hayley's today, the air about her unmistakably omega. Not enough that ever wolf would be able to smell it, hell none of them probably even knew what the smell was, but enough for a stronger wolf, my wolf, to smell when she passed me by. Hot blood dripped down my wrist as I pulled away, turning to lean against the wall, sliding down it.

It killed me not knowing.

What did he do to her? How bad was it that she snapped inside herself? Gave in to her omega side so completely, willingly.

What did he do?

And how was I going to face the bastard at pack meeting when I wanted to punch my fist through his smug face. Hayley hadn't met my gaze, but he had, and knowing look on his. He hadn't believed me, he knew I cared, it showed on his face. He knew I cared and he knew he had succeeded in getting Hayley to submit completely, getting her out of my gasps for good.

I won, his look said. As if it were a game to him.

When this happened to my mother...she was never the same. And soon took her own life to escape, not only my stepdad, but herself.

Hayley's fate was as good as sealed. And it was all my fault. I should have taken the risk. Should have killed him.

Hands shaking, I brought them to my face as I realized in my short time in town, I failed two people.

Matt. And now Hayley.

I failed...

It had been so long since I cried, the last being for my mother. But now I did, I let out a howl in despair and cried until it hurt and then I shifted and ran off into the woods behind the school.

Could I bring her back from this? I had been around when my father had tried to come save my mother from her fate, but he had come too late, she screamed when he tried to pull her into a hug, not wanting to disobey her abusive husband.

"I don't belong to you! I'm his, stop it!" She had screamed as I sat and cried and begged Dad to save her. And when the bastard came home, Dad did just that. He killed my stepfather. Took us away. But it was as if the spell she was under was never truly broken. She became a shell of a person...

If I killed Hunter now, it was a risk Hayley would end up like that too. She had chosen him as a master, as her alpha, and now she was connected to him in the worse way. Would no longer see him as abusing her, would see it as deserving.

Hayley no...why did you give up? We were so close. So damn close.

It ate at me the rest of the day. What did he do to her? What did he do?

Every bad thing imaginable popped up into my head. "I'm so sorry Hayley, my love...I don't know how to save you." I should have done somethings sooner. Now it was all up to her, to come back to herself. It was out of my hands until then.

A black hole felt as if it were opening up inside of me and slowly pulling me in.

It was a familiar feeling. A feeling I had when I was omega, it was hopelessness.