𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝑵𝒊𝒏𝒆

╔═════════════════════╗

𝑽𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒊𝒐𝒖𝒔

╚═════════════════════╝

"Walk with me, Vin."

That was all the invitation he needed as he took a few, long strides to reach Syretia. Syretia gave him a side glance before returning her focus to the trail, Welma and Darrin had probably already reached the sanctuary by now. Syretia swung her arms out in front of her, as she looked up at the tree branches overhead. Following her gaze, Vindicatio looked up as well, his face scrunching in confusion when he couldn't make out what she was looking at. 

A sudden gust of wind carried her scent and Vindicatio couldn't help but inhale it. Sweetpeas. 

Syretia picked up her pace the moment the sanctuary came into view, it was her safe haven. Vindicatio closed the gate behind them, looking around at the wolves that lounged in their pens. He felt sorry for them. Being cooped up and trapped. He knew that they yearned to be free, to feel the wind in their fur as they ran, the exhilaration that came from hunting down their own meals. 

"They aren't content here," he said, making Syretia turn around. 

"What?" Confusion was written across her face. 

"Them," Vindicatio gestured towards the wolves. "They deserve to be free." 

"They aren't held captive, Vin," Syretia explained, "they're here for rehabilitation and relocating. Once they recover they're set free." It still didn't sit right with him, he eyed the wolves once more before turning his attention elsewhere. Syretia had disappeared from his side and was making her way inside a small building. He followed her inside, his footsteps were quiet, he recoiled a bit as the strong scent of the Welma filled his nostrils. He had entered her den, her home. He felt uncomfortable, on edge, as his eyes wandered around the main room for Syretia. There were shelves with wolf-themed souvenirs, photos of wolves on the wood-paneled walls, and other trinkets littered on the three tables placed around the room. 

"I think I'll take Vindicatio to my place," Syretia's voice filtered into his ears. 

"I don't know about that," Welma replied hesitantly. "He's practically a stranger."

"He has nowhere else to go, Welma. Besides, I don't think he'd fair much better here. If anything happens, I'll call you."

"He's an animal," Darrin's voice butted in, "I could see it in his eyes, he's more wolf than man. He's unpredictable, Syretia. You're better off letting him go back into the woods or putting him up in a motel."

"With all due respect, Darrin, you don't have any place in this," Syretia asserted, "as I said before, I'll call for help if anything goes out of hand."

"I just don't want to see you get maimed," Darrin countered. "I'm trying to look out for you."

"And appreciate the gesture, Darrin," she paused for a moment, "however, I think that I need to get to know him, I have a feeling that we'll be together no matter what we decide right now. Even if I sent him back to the woods or put him up in  a motel, he'd come back." Vindicatio watched as Syretia came out of a door, dragging a suitcase behind her. "I'll keep you guys posted, we're heading home." 

"Come on, Vin," she smiled, waving for him to follow as she made her way to the front door. Vindicatio walked over, his hand shot out to grab the suitcase from her. He lifted it up effortlessly as he followed her down the front steps, the front door swinging shut behind them. Syretia led the way to her car, opening the back hatch. Vindicatio tossed the suitcase in the back and smiled at Syretia the moment they made eye contact. Syretia let out a giggle.