Chapter 46 - 20 years ago

It was Christmas dinner!! The happiest time of the year. He really enjoyed every Christmas. A lot of presents and more and more presents! Because 3 days after Christmas was his birthday. His parents extended Christmas until December 27th, while December 28th was his birthday and his parents extended it to December 31st. So it was a week full of fun.

His family was so busy with their business, but they already promised him to stay with him for this holiday week. So here they were. His grandparents and his parents were in the house for him. His aunt went to the Bahamas with her friends, while her son, his only cousin, was in the board school. He really wished that his cousin could come for Christmas, but his aunt never allowed him to come. No one knew the reasons. And, much to his dismay, his grandparents always weak in his aunt's wail.

There was a bell. Consuela, their cook, ran to open the door.

"Who's that Consuela?" He ran to Consuela. His mom let him wear his new suits and pants, and black tie. It was too formal, but he liked it because he looked like his dad.

"Ah, welcome home, sweetheart," Consuela said to the guest. He was curious about the guest, so he peeked under Consuela's arm to look at the guest.

"Sweet cake!" He said, surprised. She was their neighbor. For the last few months, the two of them were always together. Her parents were busy with the work. Her mom was working in a local restaurant, and her dad was working in LA.

She was so pretty and fun. Today her hair braided like a princess, and with her white dress she looked like an angel. The prettiest girl he ever seen, hands down. And he always, always mesmerized by her aquamarine eyes.

"Thank you so much, Consuela. I'll pick her up later after we close the restaurant," her mom said apologetically.

"It's okay, Em! She is like my own daughter." His mom came behind him. "Come here, sweetheart." She gave her hand to the girl, and the girl took it. "I made super delicious gingerbread cake just for you, Madeline. You want some now, while we're waiting for the dinner?" his mom asked her sweetly, and the girl nodded.

"Thanks Amanda," her mom said.

"That's what friends are for, right? Ohm, wrong! That's what sisters are for." His mom giggled and winked at her best friend. His mom was a happy and cool mom, he loved her so much!

"I'll see you later, sweetie," her mom said to the girl.

"Bye mommy." The girl smiled and waved.

They went back inside, Consuela closed the door behind them. His mom held the girl's hand, and he followed behind them. Would it be okay if he held the girl's other hands? Her hands looked so soft. Before he could decide, his dad came downstairs, with the same suit and tie as him.

"Wow, who's this pretty angel?" His dad squatted in front of the girl, and she smiled shyly. His dad caressed her hair softly.

"Thank you for letting me join your dinner, Mr. Hall."

"You can call me David, or uncle David or dad like Ethan, Madeline. Maybe one day you'll become my daughter-in-law." His dad laughed.

"I'd loved that!" his mom chimed in.

"What is daughter-in-law mean?" she asked them and they laughed. He didn't understand it too, like the girl. If she became his parents's daughter, then he would eventually become her brother. He didn't want to be her brother. He wanted to be close with her like siblings, but not siblings. It was hard for him to explain what he wanted.

"Nothing, sweetheart. Come on in! Grandpa and Grandma already in the dining room," his dad said.

His mom let go the girl's hand and put her own hand in the crook of his father's arm. "You two can do this, too. This is how a couple in the party walk together." She winks at them.

So the boy followed his dad's gesture and looked at the girl. "Put your hand here, sweet cake," he said, and the girl followed. The boy grinned at her and she grinned back.

"Perfect!" his mom said happily.

***

They enjoyed their Christmas dinner together and opened a lot of presents. Played hide and seek and all other fun stuff.

"Madeline, sweetie. Your mom just called me from and said that she is on the way back. I'll walk you home now. Is that okay?"

"Yes, Mrs. Hall. Thank you."

"Huh? You promised to call me mom right." His mom smiled at her.

She giggled. "Thanks, mom."

"Mom, I can walk her back. You don't have to," the boy said. He didn't want this over. He still wanted to be with her.

His mom looked at his dad and his grandparents.

"Well Ethan, it's already night. And you are still a kid. It's dangerous for two kids to walk alone at night," his grandpa said.

"But..." he frowned. His brain kept thinking of finding a way to walk her home.

"Well, I'm still full. We can walk with you too. You two can walk in front of us. And we can walk behind you two, enjoying the Christmas night," his grandma gave a brilliant idea. His parents and grandpa agreed.

The boy grinned happily. He thought, at least he still had time to spend with the girl.

***

They walked hand in hand because the boy told the girl it would be safer for her to link her hand with him. Actually, the real reason was the boy just wanted to touch her soft hand again. Earlier, he took her hand when they played tag with his dad. Her hand was perfect!

They arrived in front of her house. His parents and grandparents were far behind them. The boy tucked the tendril of the girl's hair. "Good night, sweet cake." He grinned.

She smiled beautifully at him. "Good night, Ethan. Thank you for today. It was fun to spend the Christmas dinner with your family. Merry Christmas, Ethan."

"Merry Christmas, sweet cake." He looked at her. She was looking at him with her cheeky smile, too. And it was like there was something invisible pushing his head toward her. He kissed her mouth in front of her house. It happened only for 2 seconds. But the electricity shot all over his body.

Suddenly, her mom opened the door. "You are home, baby girl!" Her mom pulled and hugged her. "Thank you, Ethan for walking her home." And her mom looked at behind him. "Thank you Amanda, David, Mr. and Mrs. Hall."

The boy spun around and looked at his family. Were they there all this time? His face felt hot. Like there was a thousand heat on it.