- Chapter 19 -

- Recap -

"Does your breathing get heavy when I touch you?" He held her hand, "and when I stand this close?" He took two steps, creating less of a proximity, "and when I meet your eyes like this?"

He looked into her eyes and she was met with a different emotion. He was content, he was fearless, but he was also confused.

Her heart started racing and she didn't know how to respond. But, she didn't need to because he confessed,

"Because my breathing does and you're the first person to have this effect on me. You created this effect."

Anisa was speechless. He really did just do that and confess. She gulped before responding and looked down at his hands.

"I do as well and it's also been bothering me."

She looked up to meet him in the eyes again. They were both lost. None of them knew what falling in love was like. They hadn't experienced it before, nor did they believe in it.

"When you're in pain, I wish it's me that's in pain," she said, "When you risk your life to save me, I want to save you."

Her tone held such honesty that took Tahir away in awe. He always thought he was the one being delusional. But, it turns out, Anisa felt the same.

"But then reality strikes me and I know that what's between us, isn't permissible. The very fact I'm holding you like this makes me happy, but we both know we're overstepping boundaries," she explained.

Tahir nodded as he tilted his head down to look at their hand. He slowly released them and said, "It's why it's so hard. It's gotten harder for me to control myself. And I went crazy after you said you lost your trust in me. I wanted it back. But, most importantly, I felt I needed it in order to breathe. You realize what I'm saying, right?"

Anisa took a deep breath. She nodded and told him, "I just wish there was another way."

***

There was a knock on the door and Reem rushed to get it. She found Anisa at the door in a terrible state. She held a poker face and wasn't phased by Reem's gestures. Normally, she'd thank her in this situation, but she didn't.

"Is everything alright? Where's your bodyguard?" Reem asked, taking a hold of her hands and assisting her in walking.

Anisa didn't respond. She went straight to the couch in the living room and Reem helped her take her heels off.

After placing them down to the corner of the room, Reem took a spot just beside her and looked at Anisa.

She finally said, "Reem..."

"Yes?"

"Have you ever gotten yourself into something knowing the outcome? Or did you reject it and move on?"

Reem was confused as to what she was talking about but she knew better than to answer her with a question.

"No one ever knows the outcome of anything because you're surrounded by an ever-changing world. You think you know the answer, but then it always changes," she explained, "So the answer to your question is, I've always moved on and accepted whatever came my way. It never mattered the outcome."

"What about Yasin?" Anisa asked, "Do you both realize the reality you'll have to face?"

Reem sighed, "I'm aware that I'm never going to be accepted by his parents. I'm just a maid at the end of the day and there are already tons of other girls waiting to get married to him. But, I don't have parents to get acceptance from and I listened to my heart. I believe that one day, the outcome of our relationship will lead to something better, something permissable."