- Chapter 27 -

The next day...

"What's the princess doing?" Abbas asked his men who just arrived from guarding her door the whole night.

"She's been in the same position, it's as though she's a statue."

It was true. Anisa had wept the whole night, drowning herself in her tears only to have lost them all. Her mind wouldn't let go of its thoughts and there were many of them.

But, she really missed Tahir. The moment she turned around or just beside her, he'd always be there. Now, she knew his true worth after being away from him for two days.

Her mother was another subject. She'd be taking a big sacrifice for her.

Suddenly, she heard the door open and didn't need to look back to know that Abbas had entered.

"Today's the day you finally get to speak with you mother," he said with enthusiasm which only angered Anisa.

Yet, despite the situation, she held a poker face. There weren't any more tears left in her eyes to cry any longer.

"Get up, unless you want me to carry you," he threatened

She got up on her two feet, unable to hold herself to the full extent. She had to use the wall for support and followed Abbas to the room just beside hers.

Upon entering, her mother looked up and gasped after she saw Anisa. Abbas made sure to check the room before he left the two to reunite.

Once they saw him leave, they looked back at each other.

"Anisa, my daughter..." Tears strolled down from her mother's eyes but Anisa wasn't able to reciprocate.

Her mother engulfed her in a hug so tightly. Anisa stood there, feeling her embrace.

"Is it true?" Anisa finally asked, "Is it true that you left the palace on your own will?"

Her mother sighed before releasing her from her arms.

"Yes, it's true. I don't know what Abbas told you, but I left the palace the moment I knew it was dangerous. I even wanted to take you with me, but, your father threatened me and wouldn't let it happen," she explained.

Anisa scoffed, "I thought you'd be different, but you're no different than Baba. All these years you've stayed in hiding, not once did you think to visit me, even in private or send me letters."

Her mother shook her head with disagreement.

"I did. I sent so many letters, so many things to you. How did you not receive them?"

"You're asking the daughter you left years ago. How would I know?" Anisa simply said.

"No, dear, please. I know how you feel right now. You have every right to be mad at me. But, I tried. I did. I couldn't tolerate being queen anymore. After I had you, I wanted you to live a normal life and be just like the others. Your father promised me that sort of life. Except, I found out that he only sent men to get me, leaving you with him." Her mother wept

"Do you realize what your mistake has cost us?" Anisa said, "Baba's dead. Killed by the man who keeps you prisoner here. The son of the man who promised to keep you away from the public!"

Her mother was startled by the way she raised her voice at her. But, the sudden news was more of a shock.

"Your father is dead?"

Anisa saw the the expression on her mother's face but she couldn't look at her anymore. She was barely able to stand.

"Of course you would have no idea. Your selfish acts have blinded you from your own family. Do you know how many years I spent having to be under a stepmother!?" Anisa vented out her anger.