Chapter 3

I have never been so happy that I asked my dad to install a lock on my bedroom door when I was 13. When I hit puberty, I asked for a lock for some privacy from Drew, I never thought I would need it because of his creepy friend. Locking the door, I slid down to the floor. My body shook as the tears fell. I held my ribs where the bruise seemed to hurt more now after that encounter, I knew one thing, I wasn't going stay here while he was around. 

Standing up I made my way to my bathroom, avoiding the mirror at all costs so I couldn't see the broken girl I've become. I turned on the shower texting Kara as I waited for the water to heat up. 

Hey girl, any chance I can stay at your place for a few days? I can't deal with this house anymore.

Putting my phone down I stepped into the shower before waiting for a reply. Letting the water fall around me, washing away the epic hangover I was still nursing and trying to scrub the feeling of Garret from my body. After 20 minutes and my fingers starting to turn into prunes I stepped out, checking my phone for replies. Kara had replied, but my face fell as I read it.

Oh lady, you know we would usually have you anytime, but my parents are renovating the house, there is hardly room for me! Maybe ask Harry if you can crash at the beach house?

Actually, that's not a bad idea! I text Harry and it took no time at all for him to assure me I was welcome to stay for as long as I needed.

I began packing a bag, thankfully finding at least two bathing suits that would cover my bruise up for now. If I was staying at the house, there's no way I could get away with not swimming. Underwear, check, swimsuits, check, multiple pairs of shorts, check, tee's, check, couple of cute dresses, check, toiletries, check. Lastly, I threw my phone charger and laptop in. 

I didn't have a car, so I text Mason to come and pick me up, asking him to beep the horn when he arrived, no matter what, do not approach the house. I had no idea if Drew and Garret were still downstairs, but I wasn't taking the risk. 

Last, I text my Dad. In all honesty he is so lost in his own world of misery he probably won't notice I'm gone. 

Just as I hit send, I heard the honk of a car horn from the road, glancing out my bedroom window I could see Mason's green jeep. 

Taking one last look around my room, I unlocked the door and ran down the stairs. I rushed out the front door and as I had expected Drew and Garret were still there, and even though I didn't think it was possible they seemed more stoned than before. I rushed past them, before their stoned brains could process what was happening and jumped into the car.

"Kay, is everything ok? You literally just went home, the drinking last night..."

"Obviously not, captain obvious otherwise I wouldn't be asking to stay with Harry! I don't want to talk about it though, not right now. Can we please just go." 

I shouldn't have snapped at him, the hurt flashed across his eyes and I felt guilty. He was doing me a favour and I bit his head off. He is just being a good friend. 

I leaned my head back against the headrest, sighing loudly. "Sorry Mason. Thanks for picking me up, I really appreciate it." 

He placed his hand on my knee and squeezed, "I'm always here for you Kay". I gave him a small smile and we drove the rest of the way in silence.

We arrived at the beach house, Mason grabbing my bag before I had a chance to. Always the gentleman. "What do you even have in here? Your whole life?" Ok, maybe not a gentleman.

"Just a gal's necessities" I said, shrugging my shoulders. 

We walked in, seeing the guys playing Xbox on the couch.  I hugged Harry from behind, "Thanks for helping me out. I owe you" I kissed him on the cheek.

"Anytime Kayla, you know you are always welcome here. Plus having you here means Kara might hang around more" I pulled away from him, whacking him across the back of the head.

"Way to ruin a moment dick head! Plus, the girl has some standards." He laughed, rubbing the back of his head. He was always making jokes about hooking up with Kara to the point none of us were sure if he was serious or joking about it anymore. 

I looked up to see Tyler was watching the events in front of him unfold and for the first time saw a hint of humour on his face. But when he noticed me see him, he quickly looked away. I flopped onto the couch next to Harry, pleased with how these fools can instantly cheer me up from the events just hours earlier.

"So, now there's a chick in the house, does that mean we don't have to cook?" Jason asked from the other couch. 

I burst out laughing, surely Jason knows that I have no idea how to cook. I am the worst cook known to planet earth. Mason laughed too as he made his way back down the stairs from putting my bag away. 

"First of all, you have a home to go to! Second of all, do you not remember when the whole school was evacuated last year for the fire in the home ec room?"

"No way! That was you?" Jason looked shocked.

I raised my hand in the air, "Guilty as charged. To be fair, the oven was totally faulty! The fire department even said that! But I should probably have noticed the flames a little earlier" I shrugged.

Mason, laughing now, "Well if you weren't busy flirting with Matthew Sinclair the whole class you might have seen the flames earlier"

"Ok, ok, not one of my finer choices in life, I'll admit. Turned out he was a terrible kisser too, more sparks in the oven than with him" I laughed.

"That's more info than we needed on him" Harry said, pretending to vomit.

"Eh, you love it. Don't worry, you're a better kisser Harry" I smirked, as I got up to grab a drink from the fridge.

"Wait! You two have hooked up?" Jason said, "Why am I the last to know everything?". 

I turned back from the kitchen to see all the boys now looking at me with amusement. 'Oh please! That was back in freshman year. Now who wants a beer?" I offered.

"I like having her here" Jason said.

"You have a home to go to" Harry reminded him again, making me grin. I'm glad I chose to come and stay here, maybe now this summer wouldn't be as bad as it started.