Chapter 34

When I promised my Dad that I would get a job to help support myself, I didn't account for the fact that it's the middle of summer in a beachside town and I don't have my licence or a car. The whole process was proving to be incredibly difficult.

"I think I'm going to have to wait till the end of summer when all the college students leave! This is hopeless" I complained to Kara as we walked along the beach.

I had just spent the morning filling out various application forms. We were now heading back to the house because Daniel, Caitlin and Shaun were due to arrive. They were spending the weekend with us and I was beyond excited for Caitlin and Kara to meet, I just knew they would get along.

Natasha wasn't invited. She had messaged Tyler a few times about how much she missed him, and he told her clearly he had moved on and was very happy with me. She wasn't taking the hint. While she was 3 hours away though, I wasn't too worried

"I think it's silly that he is even making you work. Why can't he just send you an allowance. Now I'm going to have share you with Tyler and a job!"

Kara had been making this argument for the last week since I told her after my fathers visit. Her parents are loaded, she has never even thought about having to work.

"Things are a bit tighter, it's only Dads income now and he is paying for Drew's rehab. It just going to be a few nights a week. Besides, you have Luke to keep you busy" I said, nudging her and wiggling my eyebrows, making both of us laugh.

We approached the back entrance of the house and I excitedly ran up the back deck. Mason and Harry were outside.

"Hey guys! Are they here?" I bounced up the stairs as the boys turned to me.

"Kayla, before you go in..." Mason started to say, but I cut him off, way too excited to get in and say hi. Caitlin and I had been chatting and planning what we would get up to this weekend.

"Tell me whatever it is later Mase!" I said, ignoring him and opening the door.

"Shit" I heard Harry say, I had no idea why until I walked inside, my smile falling instantly.

In front of me I saw Tyler, looking slightly pale. His face held a look of guilt and worry all in one. Sweeping around the awfully quiet room I saw Caitlin, Daniel, Jason and Shaun at the dining table and then standing behind them against the wall was none other than Natasha.

"Hell NO!" I yelled.

"Kayla..." Tyler started.

"Nope, no. What the fuck is she doing here?" I fumed.

From behind me I heard a gasp from Kara who had walked in with Mason and Harry. I could not believe this girl was standing in our home. We made it clear she wasn't invited, why would she even want to be here when she hates me, and I obviously live here. Suddenly, this weekend didn't seem so fun anymore.

No one answered me, no one even wanted to look at me. I stared at Natasha standing in our dining area, who visibly looked Kara up and down and scoffed. This didn't go unnoticed by either Kara or me.

"You know Kay, she's not as pretty as you said she is, Ty you definitely upgraded" Kara said, putting on a sickly sweet voice and I knew she was making it clear to everyone that she had my back in this.

"Tyler, you weren't wrong about the skanky bitches that live in this town" Natasha said, with just as much attitude.

"Ohhhh boy" we heard from behind us.

"You know, when I visited your hometown, I remained nice because I was a visitor and I'm generally a fucking nice person. I held back despite the way your mother treated me and despite the crap you spat out whilst throwing yourself at my boyfriend. But girl, now you're in my hometown, you're in my god damned house, uninvited might I add. So, don't you dare stand there insulting us, thinking you're fucking top shit because I will knock you down faster than you can even utter the word skank"

"You are going to stand there and threaten me? Sorry to break it to you honey, but you have no idea of the history Ty and I shared. I'm here to remind him of that. Remind him of where he belongs"

"Natasha, shut up. I knew we should have said no, I'm sorry Ty man." Daniel said as Caitlin buried her head into her hands.

"You make me sick" I said, looking her up and down before storming out of the room and up to my room.

"Tyler, I suggest you go after her before this gets any worse" I heard Kara say.

"She isn't worth chasing after" Natasha said.

"Bitch, I'm going to drop you if you even open your mouth one more time" Kara said as I heard Tyler's heavy footsteps running up the stairs after me. 

Even though I was furious at the situation, a big part of me was relieved that he chose to chase after me.

I walked into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me even though I knew he was coming. I turned and waited, arms crossed across my chest as he slowly opened the door and entered the room.

"What the fuck Tyler?"

"Babe, I swear I didn't know. They just got here and when I went to greet them, she got out of the car too. Caitlin is beside herself with guilt, she knows how you feel about her" Tyler started to explain.

"You heard what she said, she is still going after you. How the hell am I supposed to feel about this?"

"I'm not thrilled myself either. But we can try to just make the most of it. Please?" he said, stepping up closer to me and placing his hands on my waist.

"Where is she even going to sleep? There are no more beds. You know Kara isn't going to let her get away with her little comments. I heard them as I left the room"

"I believe you. I'm so sorry to make you feel like this. But you know that you're the only one I want, don't you? You are my girl, I only have eyes for you" he says, kissing me on the forehead.

"I know" I sigh. I hated everything about this, but I also knew we couldn't just throw her out now that she is here. The fucking nice person that I am is messing with the protective girlfriend in me. The internal debate raged within me, but in the end, I knew what I had to do.

"She can take a couch. We won't let this ruin the time with everyone else. Your friends are here, and you need to enjoy this weekend. But, I'm not going out of my way to be nice, I'm not apologising for standing up for myself and for our relationship against her and I'm especially not apologising for any extra PDA. Trust me, there will be extra PDA" I said sternly.

Tyler laughed, "I will never complain about that. The rest is all fair, in fact I love that you will stand up for our relationship, it's a massive turn on. So, we good, you and me?"

"We are good. I am calming down" I said, placing my hands on his cheeks and kissing him.

We made our way back downstairs where there were two clear groups, and everyone was talking quietly. As we entered, they hushed, waiting for what we would say.

"There are no more beds. You sleep on the couch. Keep your hands to yourself, and for the love of god, don't talk to me" I said bluntly.

"She can take my..." Mason started to say, and I knew he was about to offer up his bed and go home instead.

I held my hand up to stop him, "No Mason. You're our best friend, you don't give up your bed. You sleep here more than home anyway. End of discussion. This is me being nice, don't ruin it."

"Alright then, now that this is sorted, who wants a drink? Someone want to help me get the firepit going outside too?" Harry said trying to lighten the mood.

I took him up on the offer of a drink, happy to be moving to the kitchen and Kara came to help me.

"You ok girl? She is a piece of work" Kara asked me.

"Not really. But she is going to wish she never came here. Where's the fucking vodka?" I replied.