Chapter 41

"Kara! No more alcohol in there! There's enough already!" I scolded my best friend as she tried to add more vodka to the cocktails we had made up.

"Just a pinch more, it won't hurt" she said, undoing the lid as I took the bottle from her hands.

"No!"

"You are such a party pooper! It's the last party of the summer before Senior year" she whined.

"I want to enjoy the cocktails, if we needed them any stronger, we would just drink straight vodka" I rolled my eyes, taking the pitcher and heading outside, Kara followed carrying cups.

We were having one last summer party before things got serious with senior year. The boys had set up the yard and were preparing a large bonfire on the beach instead of our small fire pit this time. We had invited most of our senior class, even the girls who didn't like Kara and I much, it was a tradition on the last weekend of summer.

Approaching our group of friends, I placed the pitcher down.

"Who would like some sex on the beach?" I asked, fighting back a smile.

Tyler and Jason, almost simultaneously spit out their beers as Kara and I burst into laughter.

"Cocktail boys! Get your heads out of the gutter. Although, maybe later babe?" I winked at Tyler, making him shake his head.

Things were amazing between us since the 'misunderstanding'. Tyler was coping surprisingly well with the death of his mom, focusing his energy on Madi. The three of us had been hanging out a lot, now that she was improving physically, we were able to take her to the beach, enjoy milkshakes on the pier together and we had taken her to play minigolf. She was better than Tyler, much to his dismay that his 6 year old sister and girlfriend kept beating him.

"So, Kay, I heard you were finally offered a job today?" Mason asked.

'Yes! The juice bar on the pier. I start on Monday afternoon. Just a few afternoons a week for now, but it's a start. I also booked in some driving lessons, it's time for me to grow up" I said proudly.

"My girl has come so far this summer, I mean apart from the shitty beginning that we won't speak of, you have moved out home, got a job, driving lessons, fallen in love and lost your v-card" Kara said, pretending to wipe a tear away, "So proud"

I rolled my eyes, "You act like I was a child! We are 4 weeks apart in age!"

Much of the night went on like this, with all of us taking pot shots at each other and reliving some of our favourite moments of the summer. When the sun had set we moved to enjoy the giant bonfire, the music carrying out to the beach and many of our classmates drunk already, couples making out on the beach, and people dancing.

Tyler pulled me aside, wrapping his arms around me from behind, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Having fun?" he asked.

"Yeah, I actually am. I can't believe summer is already over."

"On to the next adventure. This summer has been the best and the worst of my life, I wouldn't change it though, because even for the worst parts, I had you."

"I wouldn't change it either" I said, turning my head so I could kiss him softly.

"Are you ready to start a new school?" I asked him, we hadn't spoken much about school, what we each wanted for the year or beyond senior year.

"Yeah, I'm not bothered by school. Means to an end. I will have you there, plus the guys and Kara, so I know it will be fine" he said casually.

"What do you want to do after school?" I asked.

"I'm not sure yet. What about you?"

"I'll apply to colleges, but I don't know yet. Not sure what I want to do."

"We have time" he said.

We stood, content wrapped up within each other, watching the ocean as we had done a million times before.

"Do you remember what you told me about the ocean?" Tyler asked me.

I remembered. That day was one I wouldn't forget, but most of all, the way I felt about the ocean had never once changed.

"That no matter the dangers, we still chose to enter the water. That even if we can get hurt, the ocean is too beautiful to resist and most of all that it never gives up" I recited.

"I think about that whenever I watch the waves now. It's a bit like us, we new the risks, we knew each other's demons and we still went for it. No matter what, I'm never giving us up. No matter what comes in our future. I love you so much Kayla, you saved me from myself."

I turned in his arms, looking him in his eyes, I felt the need to savour this moment. I loved this glorious boy standing in front of me, no matter what happened in the future, I knew I would always love him. We shared some of our darkest moments and guided each other through it this summer and that would stay with us forever, no one could ever take it away.

One thing I had realised this summer is that everything always ends up working out. Sometimes even better than you can imagine. 

"I love you too, always" I said to him, before placing a soft kiss upon his lips, that meant so much more than just a kiss.

"Hey lovebirds! What's going on?" Kara called out as her and Luke approached us.

She had finally brought Luke to meet us and honestly, I don't know what she was so worried about. He fit in just like Tyler had fit seamlessly into our group.

"Just talking. Hey Luke" I said, giving him a small wave as I moved beside Tyler now, linking arms with Kara.

"KK takes on senior year baby!" Kara said, making us laugh.

"What's going on over here? I want in!" Mason says, approaching us from behind and standing on Tyler's other side.

"Hey, hey! No one told us that there was a secret meeting on the beach!" Harry called out as he and Jason also approached.

Now our whole group, plus Luke was standing side by side. I looked to all of them, seeing those who are my family. These amazing people kept me afloat this summer and I knew we would always be friends.

"Here's to senior year and here's to the family you get to choose. Never change, any of you" I said.

"Here, here!" They chorused back at me. 

Well I made it to the end! I still have an epilogue and a bonus chapter (because I had two places I wanted this story to end and I couldn't decide, so I did both!) 

Please feel free to leave any comments. 

I wrote because my head was full of thoughts and ideas and I needed them out. Being locked up during COVID has left far too much thinking time, so I wrote for me. I hope my work has brought at least a little something for you too, even if it's a distraction just for a little while. <3