Chapter 10

TRIGGER WARNING: The next few chapters will have some content surround abuse. 

"Drew threw a grad party the weekend after school finished. I knew his new friends were trouble, but one had always been nice to me and physically I was attracted to him. Garret, the guy with Drew when we saw them the other day. Anyway, Kara encouraged me to try to hook up with him, he's cute and so into me, she had said. You probably already worked out that hooking up is second nature for her, less so for me. I like to get to know people, but this was a party so, I went for it. I didn't plan on sleeping with him or anything, just make out, maybe a little more if it felt right."

I felt tears threatening to fall as I took another deep breath, urging myself to continue with the story. I watched to the ocean, the waves calming me.

"He led me to my room and we started making out on my bed. He was getting really handsy,and I wasn't as into it as I thought I would be. I could tell he was high and it was making me uncomfortable, so I tried to stop. I told him to stop."

The tears were falling silently now. Tyler didn't speak, but I could tell he was getting angry at Garret on my behalf. He knew what I was going to say next, but still let me continue.

"He, um, when I said stop, he didn't listen. He held me down on the bed, that's how I got that bruise, he held one hand there pinning me to the bed, with the other, he pushed my dress up and pushed my underwear down and he..."

"You don't have to say it, I get it. He sexually assaulted you" Tyler said softly, cutting me off before I had to explain anymore detail. 

I turned to Tyler, looking into his eyes, seeing a range of emotions. There was pity, sadness, and anger. I wiped away a few tears and finished my story.

"The only thing that made him stop was my brother calling his name through the house. He didn't want to get caught with me, so he left me there, promising me that he would come back and finish what he started. It's the same thing he said to me the other day and also the day I left home and came to stay with you guys."

Tyler pulled me close to him, wrapping his arms around me and letting me cry. 

"No one will ever hurt you like that again Kayla. I'll make sure of it." He said softly and I wanted to believe him so much. 

Eventually the tears stopped. Tyler had moved so he was sitting behind me now, his legs either side and arms wrapped around my waist. We made small talk, he asked if I had told anyone else, even if knew the answer. We stayed like that until we started hearing both our stomachs rumble. 

Tyler had been in my life for 5 minutes, but now he knew part of my biggest secrets, of what caused me pain. I trusted him. It felt like we had known each other all our lives and I couldn't explain this new found feeling. No one had ever torn down walls so fast.

"We should probably go and get something to eat, then head home" I said, moving away from him and standing up. Suddenly feeling cold without his body close to me. 

He stood too, "Yeah, the others are probably wondering where we are."

"Thanks for listening to me. It's been nice having someone to talk to and I feel a bit lighter getting that out." I said, giving him a hug. The moment only lasted a short time as my stomach let out a huge rumble reminding me how hungry I was.

"Any time Kayla. But I think we should really attend to that beast in your stomach" he laughed. 

We decided on Taco Bell, it was on our way home near the pier. He was trying to make me feel better and distract me from everything I shared with him. I appreciated him so much for this.