Chapter 28

"Are you sure I look ok? Not too dressed up?" I asked Tyler for the 8th time.

He rolled his eyes, "Kayla, you look amazing. You always look amazing in whatever you wear, or don't wear" he grinned.

"Pervert" I muttered under my breath as I took one last look in the mirror. I had chosen a light grey maxi skirt that was ruched up the top with a high thigh split and a white crop that tied up at the front. It wasn't a revealing outfit at all, but it showed off my flat tummy and curvier hips. I left my hair out, the salt in the ocean air helping to give me perfect natural waves.

"Ok, I'm ready. Are you ready? To see them I mean, after... everything, after today too?" I asked, feeling concerned now about how Tyler was coping mentally with everything.

"Babe, I promise I'm ok. Today was good for me and if we aren't having fun, we can come back here and make our own fun" he said, wrapping his arms around me. I snaked my arms around his waist, looking up at him and giving him a quick kiss.

"Let's do this then" I said.

We left the motel room and headed for the beach, it was only a short walk down the beach before we saw a group of teenagers our age and a bonfire on the beach. We approached the group and I noticed a few people staring at Tyler and then whispering to their friends. If he saw them, he pretended not to notice, but he didn't let go of my hand the whole time.

"Wow, it's really you, Tyler James in the flesh" A brown haired, tanned boy sporting a lip ring and a cigarette tucked behind his ear stood in front of us. I recognised him immediately from the photos.

"Daniel, nice to see you bro" Tyler shook his hand with his other hand as Daniel pulled him in for a 'man hug' before Daniel then noticed me, very obviously looking me up and down, a grin appearing on his face.

"Who do we have here?" Daniel asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Dan, this is my girlfriend Kayla. Kay, meet Dan, Point Campbell's biggest troublemaker" Tyler introduced us.

Daniel took a hold of my other hand, kissing it, "Pleasure to meet you Kayla" he said to me, before turning to Tyler, "You've only been gone a month, already bagged you a hot chick from the rich side. Nice work buddy"

Tyler rolled his eyes at the candidness of his old friend, "Where's everyone else?" he asked.

Daniel beckoned us to follow him. He led us to a couple of chairs where I saw the others that I also recognised from the photo. 

Shaun was on his phone and looked up as we approached, a soft smile appearing on his face and I could tell instantly that I would like him. Everything that Tyler had told me about him was evident in that smile alone. 

Beside him, in a conversation of their own were two girls who I knew were Caitlin and Natasha. Caitlin was standing facing us, her platinum blonde hair making her stand out. The tall, leggy brunette with her back to us could only be Natasha. As Caitlin saw us approach her attention moved from their conversation straight to Tyler. I watched as a huge smile broke out on her face and she ran to us, enveloping Tyler in a big bear hug, forcing him to let go of my hand as he hugged her back.

"Tyler!!! It's so good to see you!" she squealed. He let her go and then moved on to greeting Shaun. I was far more interested in the reaction of Natasha. I watched as she turned slowly and smiled softly at Tyler. I could see it in her eyes instantly, the same way I look at him, there was nothing mutual about their break-up for her.

I was distracted from her for a moment when I realised Caitlin was talking to me, "Hey, I'm Caitlin!" she introduced herself.

"Kayla, lovely to meet you, Ty has told me a lot about you all" I smiled.