Chapter 8

My phone buzzed on the nightstand, I contemplated not looking at it as I had now received a number of texts from Mason checking if I was ok and I just didn't want to deal with it. I hadn't heard from Kara and I doubted if I would. I was pretty mean to her. 

This isn't the first time we have fought and I'm sure it won't be the last. However, I knew that for us to move on I am going to have to explain a few things and I wasn't ready for that. Call it denial, call it whatever you want.

I glanced at my phone, surprised this time to see my dad's name on the screen. I hadn't heard from him for over a week now.

Kay, I'm going to stay up north with Uncle Phil for a fishing trip. Not sure when I'll be back, I've put some money in your account. Dad x

That's it. No 'how are you doing Kayla?' or 'are you coming home again?'. I wondered for a moment if he even noticed I was still gone. I feel bad for him and all he is going through, I really do, but I'm still his child. So now I'm down a best friend, a brother, and my dad. This summer just gets better and better.

I really wasn't in the mood to see anyone, especially after my outburst last night, so I stayed in my room until the house was silent and I was absolutely sure that the boys had gone out. I was getting hungry too, so I finally made my way downstairs. 

I realised when I was halfway down the stairs that I was wrong about the house being empty. I stopped when I heard a voice that I couldn't place at first and then one that I knew by now.

"Madi has been asking about you, asking when you are going to come and visit her. She misses you Tyler," the older female voice said. "You can't avoid her forever, she needs you."

"And I need time." Tyler responded. Always a man of so many words.

"It's been three weeks; she will be getting out soon."

This feels wrong, this is a conversation that I should not be listening to. I turned around to go back upstairs, food would just have to wait a little longer. 

As I turned to take a step back up, I missed the step, stubbing my toe painfully, "SHIT!" I exclaimed before I could even think, clearly blowing my cover and revealing that I was in fact hiding on the staircase. 

I hear footsteps move towards me where I stood holding my toe, I turned sheepishly to see Harry's mum looking at me. I smiled at her, "Hey Mrs. James," her face softened as she realised who I was.

"Hi Kayla, Harry told me you were staying here. Some problems at home or something?"

"Ah yeah. I hope that's ok. I didn't have many options," I said, now limping down the stairs. 

We had met a few times over the years, Harry and I often did science projects together and had been close friends for years. She was always lovely to me, I think she secretly hoped that Harry and I would get together, but that was never going to happen.

"Of course, sweetie. You've always been a good influence on my son. I just came by to bring some groceries and make sure the boys are keeping the house in order." She justified her reasons for being here, which really, its her house so why should she have to. In fact, she has a group of 17 year old's living here, she should be checking on us.

I followed her towards the kitchen, heading straight for the coffee pot and avoiding Tyler who was sitting at the breakfast bar. I knew he would have questions about last night, I'm not ready to answer them. Now, after the small bit of conversation that I just heard, I had questions too. I was not going to be asking them though, maybe, just maybe he would open up to me in his own time.

"The boys are doing a great job of looking after the house Mrs. James. In fact, they are doing a good job of looking after me too. Harry is a good friend," I smiled.

"Great, that's great to hear. Well I left a lasagna in the fridge for you all." She said, writing a note for Harry.  "It was lovely to see you again Kayla. Tyler, we will speak soon, this conversation isn't finished." 

We waved goodbye as she picked up her handbag and left. I looked to the pantry, then the fridge, my limited cooking knowledge meant that if I wanted to eat, my choices were grilled cheese or two minute noodles. 

I decided to make a grilled cheese. Tyler surprisingly didn't get up to leave as soon as Mrs. James left. The silence though, was awkward. Every noise I made in the kitchen seemed to echo. He must have known that I would have heard at least some of his conversation with his aunt. Soon, I couldn't handle the silence anymore.

"So where is everyone else?" I asked.

"Something about a pick-up basketball game," he replied.

Of course. It's Tuesday, every Tuesday there was an unofficial basketball tournament at the local courts. Players from all schools in the district would get together to play. It was the only way they could all play during the summer. Tyler, I knew, was not into basketball like the other guys were. The only sport he seemed to be into at all is surfing.

I nodded and continued making my grilled cheese. When it was ready, I took my food and coffee outside onto the deck. I had hardly sat down to finally eat when I felt his presence beside me. Taking a bite, I glanced sideways to see him leaning on the railing, looking straight ahead at the ocean view as he always seemed to. 

That's how we remained while I ate. Silence that was only slightly less awkward than in the kitchen thanks to the sounds coming from the beach ahead of us. I finished eating and placed my empty dishes beside me.

"Are you ok?" he FINALLY speaks!

"Are you asking because you actually want to know or because you feel like you should?"

"Do you always answer a question with a question?" he replied, with a hint of amusement in his voice.

I looked at him, only to find him now watching me. "I'm fine Tyler. Really."

"Your outburst last night might say otherwise. I don't want to overstep, but I'm here if you feel like talking. I'm a good listener."

"I don't want to talk," I said, still looking at him.

"Want to hang out then?" he asked like it was no big deal.

That caught me off guard. Tyler wanted to hang out with me. Tyler, being nice, friendly almost. I was suspicious, but also curious.

"OK, sure," I said carefully,  "Let's hang out. What did you have in mind?"

"I dunno, I'm the new guy in town. What do you do for fun around here?" He asked.

I thought for a moment. There really wasn't much that we did do, I mean we live in a smallish beach town. Most of the time we partied, surfed and just hung out.

"I guess we can head to the pier and see where the day takes us. Give me 10 minutes to get changed." 

Tyler replied with a smile and a fake salute, making me giggle.

I made my way upstairs to get changed. Choosing my black denim shorts and a mint green tank top, that crisscrossed on the back. I couldn't wear a normal bra with this top without looking trashy, so I opted to throw on a black swimsuit that was just a simple string tie. Putting my hair into a side braid, I looked cute, but casual. I slipped on my black flip flops and grabbing a small over the shoulder bag I was ready go. I bounced downstairs, smiling at Tyler who was waiting for me, dressed as always in board shorts and a singlet.

"Ready to have a good time?" I smiled at him, and if honest, I was already feeling better after last night. The day hadn't even begun.