Chapter 20

The air was tense. I wasn't sure if I should say anything or just leave. I wanted to have a shower and I needed to call Kara. I was also worried about Tyler but knowing he had gone for a surf was somewhat comforting as I knew being in the ocean was his happy place. It was where he let go of emotion.

Mrs. James ran her hands through her hair. I could tell the situation was stressing her out. Of course it was, her sister in law was in a coma after nearly burning her own daughter alive and being shot by the police and now she had to take in her two children, one who will require extensive medical help, on top of the three boys she already had.

Not knowing what to say or if I should even say anything at all, I decided instead to take the dishes the boys left behind to the kitchen.

"Is there something going on between you and Tyler?" Mrs. James asked me, taking me by complete surprise.

What was I supposed to tell her, oh yeah I slept in his bed last night. I'm the only one he has opened up to and that kissing him is like no one I've ever kissed before. No.

She noticed my hesitation in answering and decided to elaborate. "I noticed the way he looks at you, the hand on your thigh. You said you had confided in him and he took you to meet Madi, which would mean you know what happened to him and his family?"

I sat back down in my seat. This woman is observant, its any wonder Harry got away with as much as he did.

"We have become friends. He was nervous to see Madi, so he took me with him. As for knowing about his family, I think it helped him to be able to tell someone about that day"

She pursed her lips, like she was figuring out how best to say what she wanted to.

"Kayla, I like you. You are a great friend for Harry, I trust you and think you are a very mature young lady. However, given what you have told me today about what you are going through and have been these past 6 months and what Tyler is experiencing, it would only be natural for me to very concerned."

"What are you trying to say Mrs James?"

"Look, I understand young attraction, I do. I was your age once too. I'm concerned that you two would be very bad for each other. That you both have far too much going on and a summer romance could be detrimental to you both. Tyler is going to require a lot of help; he may not be willing to accept that fact yet and it's more complex than you may ever understand."

"I understand what you are saying. I have thought about it myself, but the changes we have all already noticed in Tyler because of me only seem positive so far. Your concerns are the same things that scare me, but then what if we are able to help each other begin to heal? What if it's not just a summer romance? I don't know for sure what is happening, but I know how he makes me feel. Like I am safe, protected and cared for. I think I make him feel like there is hope for him beyond the god awful things he went through. Can it really be that bad? Is it not worth taking the risk?"

"You make a compelling argument. I sense that no matter what I say or any opinion I have, it won't change anything?"

"I hear you Mrs James, I do. I don't want to deliberately disobey your wishes. But I think Tyler needs me. I know I need him. Whether it is as a friend, or as something more. I think the two of us are old enough now to be given the chance to work that out ourselves."

She nodded, knowing she was somewhat defeated. "Just don't say I didn't warn you. You may both think you are old enough, but you are still 17 and you are each dealing with some very adult issues."

I understood her. I had thought of all of this already, but I couldn't deny what I felt for Tyler. I had only known him a few weeks, but it felt like we had known each other all of our lives. I had fallen hard and fast for him. If it ended up being a mistake, then it was ours to make and learn from.

I stood up again, this time making it to the kitchen to place the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher. I didn't know if I should tell Tyler about my conversation with his Aunt. He would probably get annoyed at her for meddling with his life, but I didn't want to keep anything from him either. I would work it out later.

Before I turned to go upstairs, I glanced back at Mrs James. "I agree with you, that Tyler should see a therapist. But he can't be pushed into until he is ready to accept it. I will help him to get there, but I won't push him" I said.

~

"Go with the yellow one with the little white flowers, denim jacket and strappy sandals. It's cute but casual at the same time. Besides, he hasn't even said where you are going." Kara advised over facetime.

I had called her to tell her about our date tonight and get her advice on what to wear. I also filled her in on my conversation with Mrs. James and she was desperate for details on my night. She was sorely disappointed to find out that we only made out and then slept, actually slept. I reminded her of her own words last night, how it hadn't even been 24 hours since the incident with Garret.

"OK, I'm confident with that outfit choice. I wonder if I should still confirm we are actually going. He was pretty angry with his Aunt when he stormed out and I don't think he is back yet." I said.

"He just needs time to himself and I'm sure this date is the only thing he is happy about today." Kara reassured me.

"I'm sure you're right. So what are you up to anyway?"

"Well, I'm meeting up with the guy I met at Harry's first party, the one I went home with that night."

"Excuse me? Kara Wright is seeing a guy again? A summer guy at that?" I said, incredulous.

I could see even through my small phone screen that she was blushing.

"Yeah, I am. I don't know, maybe this guy will be the one to change my ways. I'm taking things really slow anyway. You know me, I don't really do feelings, but when I see him I get butterflies. When his name pops up on my phone I smile in anticipation at what he has to say"

"Oh my baby girl has it bad. So when am I going to meet him? What's his name? Age? What school does he go to?"

"Wow, third degree. His name is Luke and he goes to Ridgewood High, a senior next year like us. Let me just see how things go before we do any meet and greets. I've never done this before" She pleaded.

As we talked a bit more, I heard the door open downstairs, followed by footsteps coming upstairs. I wasn't sure if it was Harry or Tyler so I waited a moment before then hearing a knock on my door.

"Kara I gotta go, but I will text you later ok. Love ya" I blew her a kiss before hanging up. She wiggled her fingers in a wave goodbye.

"Come in" I called out.

It was Tyler. As soon as I saw it was him, I gave him a warm smile, inviting him to come further into the room. I was sitting on my bed, propped up with pillows, he chose to lean against the window seal looking at me.

"Are you ok?" I asked him warmly.

He shrugged. "I feel a bit better after a surf. Sorry for storming out" he said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"You don't need to apologise to me at all."

He nodded, we seemed to have an understanding without needing to verbalise anything more than that.

"We still on for our date?" he asked nervously.

"I hope so, I've just spent time picking out my outfit" I smiled, which made him grin. There was my Tyler that I had come to know.

"Great. Let's leave at 6.30. I'm going to take a shower." He left the room much happier than when he walked in, kissing me on the head as he practically skipped out.