No Longer Friends

After school she went home to get Jacob's late birthday gift. She puts it in the trunk and drove to La Push.

When she pulled up next to Jacob's garage drive way, Jacob was already standing there waiting for her

When she pulled up next to Jacob's garage drive way, Jacob was already standing there waiting for her. She smiled when he came closer to her, his arms folded across his chest.

"Hey." He said as he pulled River into embrace,"so you finally decided to visit." He said with a serious voice and smirk on thin full pink lips.

"I can just leave." River threatened as she slowly turned,"with your birthday present."

"River don't be like that." Jacob said,"where is it?"

"Its in the trunk." River said as she opened it.

"Whoa. New car parts for my rabbit." Jacob said excited.

"You're seriously still fixing that thing?" River asked exhausted.

"Yes. Fortunately for me, you bought the missing parts." Jacob said even more excited,"come inside." He unvited her into his garage.

River followed him to his garage. She only ended up passing tools to him as he fixed his rabbit.

"You swan sisters must really have a thing for me." Jacob joked.

"Haha." River mocked,"that's right, Bella has been coming here a lot lately."

Jacob chuckled,"She bought two beat up motorbikes and we fixed them together." Jacob said.

"Oh?" River said.

"So how are things with you and Bella?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah we're fine." River answered unsure,"we talk to each now that's good."

"Great. How about you?"

"Great." She said with a most fake smile she could master.

Jacob looked at her unconvinced,"are you sure?" He asked again.

"Yeah." She said with less enthusiasm.

"You know you can always come to me if you ever want to talk, I'm a good listener." He said.

River smiled,"I know you are."

"Charlie told my dad who told you've going a hard time. The thing is I don't ever want to see you standing on the edge of a cliff again. That was terrifying." Jacob said.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that and putting you through that." River apologies with shame.

"Don't apologise. Just talk to me." Jacob said.

"I will when I do have something to say." River assured him. But only if he knew half the things going through her head,"you helped a lot during that time. I can never thank you enough."

"That's what friends are for." He grinned.

"Yes that's why I have to the same for you." River suddenly said.

"What do you mean?" Jacob asked confused.

"You and Bella I don't think it a good idea." River simply said.

"What are you talking about?"

"You're falling for her." River said concerned.

"What?" He asked shocked.

"Don't even try to deny it. It's written all over your face."

"If so. What's so wrong with it. Bella is great person." Jacob said.

"There is no way better to tell you this. Bella is in love with Edward. He's always going to be the one for her." River's heart broken at the truth.

"He left."

"Because he loves her and wants to protect her."

"To protect her from what?"

River realising she said too much,"that's not important. What's important is that she always going to choose him."

Jacob's face completely changed into a hard expression,"you don't know that."

"Yes I do. And I'm trying to save you from disappointment. You're my best friend and I don't want to see you get hurt." River said.

Jacob looked down with fake smile,"I appreciate you looking for me but I got this." He said looking into her eyes.

"I wish I had someone who would tell and warn me about these stuff. Maybe things would have been different. I'm trying to be that person to you. Please Jacob, hear me out."

"Stop!" He said a soft tone," just because it didn't work out for you and your boyfriend doesn't mean every relationship is like that." He said,"and I see the way you treat others. The same way you're doing with me. Treating us like we're kids who are in need for your guidance. Like we can't do anything without you. You're...." He hesitated.

"Say it." River couraged.

"Clingy. You're so afraid of losing someone to the point You go out of your way just to please somebody and sometimes it's truly..."

"What wrong with looking out for the people I love?" River dared.

"There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying sometimes you should back off."

River frowned in shock,"thank you for being honest me." Shouted sarcastically.

"You know it's true." Jacob shouted back

"You can tell all that just by looking at me. Jacob you don't know me. You know what I've been through. If you did you'll understand why I do the things I do. You don't what I have to do, what I have to kill just so everybody around can be happy so they won't leave me." River said breaking down,"you know nothing about me." She said through her clutched teeth.

"You're right. I know nothing about you. I don't even know how we became friends."

River silently gasped,"you don't mean that. Take it back." River demanded. When he didn't say anything, River nodded,"I was ready to jump of that cliff that day. I was praying it didn't hurt. Than you came along. You brought back from that dark place. If I lost you..." River shook her head.

"Well you have." Jacob said angrily.

River's eyes widen as she heard her already stitched up heart shrewd once more."I was just trying to help."

"I didn't ask for it." He said,"Bella is going to fall in love with me."

Tears welled up and threatened to fall. But she harden her face and swallowed the lump in her throat.

River bite her lower lip as she nodded. She looked at him as tears threaten to fall,"good luck." River said before she left.