Strategy

"Excellent. If the red head is after Bella, we've got bait." Jared said.

With stunning speed, Jacob grabbed a four pronged spading fork from some garden tools, and flinger it toward Jared's head but he easily caught it.

"She is not bait." Jacob said.

A picnic table in the middle of this small, quaintly landscape garden. Jacob, Bella, Embry, Paul, Sam, Jared, Emily and River are in the midst of a huge breakfast.

 Jacob, Bella, Embry, Paul, Sam, Jared, Emily and River are in the midst of a huge breakfast

"I should leave town." Bella said.

"Victoria will follow you and make it harder for us to catch her." Sam said.

"No one can catch her. She can escape anything." Bella explained.

"Ooh. She has special powers." Paul said.

"Some of them do."

They all looked at her. She instantly regretted saying it.

"Like...what? Bella?"

"The mind reader you said you knew. He was a suckhead? Can they all do that?" Embry asked.

"That would blow." Jared said.

"No, I shouldn't have no."

"She's still protecting them." Paul angrily said.

"I don't know why. It's not like they stuck around to protect you." Jared said a little disappointed.

"Guys, back off." Jacob called them off. He looked at Bella apologetic.

She shrunk, stung.

"River." Sam called.

"Ahuh?" River said snapping out from deep thoughts,"yeah, what is it?"

"You've been with vampires most of your life. Do they all have special superpowers?" Sam asked.

All heads turned to River who had a distorted, distracted look.

"Not exactly superpowers. Just enhanced abilities from theirs human life." River answered.

"River?" Bella tried to stop her.

"What? They need this information if they want to catch and kill Victoria." River said,"I won't always be here to protect you or Charlie. You know that, right?"

"What kind of abilities River?"

"It's abilities their once had when they were human, sometime common abilities like a fast runner, a great hider or seeker, strength, etc. Sometime uncommon can telling something in future is going to happen, you can tell what other people are thinking, control things and etc. Those kind of abilities are enhanced when you become a vampire." River explained.

"Really?" Embry said.

"What about you?" Jared asked curiously.

"To me. It's different. I was born like this. Their weren't enhanced." River explained.

Embry lifted his head up,"What can you do?" His eyebrow furrowed with a huge grin as he asked.

River looked at Embry from the corner of her eyes.

"Oh come on, River." Jared and Embry begged,"please." They continued constantly.

River sighed before standing in front of them,"fine, step back a little. Further."

Jared and Embry took a step back. River held out her arm,"I must warn you. Touch it and you will be blown away?"

"Touch what?" Embry asked as he stepped closer and suddenly he was blown away.

Jared laughed at Embry,"Ahah. Cool. What else?" Jared asked curiously.

"River, boys, that's enough." Sam ordered.

"Yes, sir." Embry and Jared said but continued to laugh.

"You also have healing powers." Emily said.

"Yes." River answered.

"Hey, what about that thing you did to Jasper to make him calm down." Bella asked curiously.

"I don't know happened or what I did. I just wanted him to calm down." River said.

"So you're a mind controlling freak." Paul said in disgust.

"Paul." Sam warned.

"Why are you all acting like she's your friend, like she deserves to be here? She's was our enemy. She doesn't belong here." Paul suddenly raised his opinion towards River as he slammed his hand in front of River and looked at her, dead in the eye.

"Paul!" Sam warned more violently

"She's one of them and obviously a witch." Paul said in distaste.

River's eyes widen at that word 'witch'. Her heart started to beat faster. She didn't really care about Paul or what he said. It hurt her even the slightest.

"Councillors have accepted her long before any of you, you should do the same. She is a Quileute, a human. She deserves to be here just as much as you. She's one of us." Sam said.

"Until she phases, she shouldn't be allowed on these lands." Paul said looking at River.

"Too bad it's not you're decision to make." Sam said.

"Its okay, Sam. It seems I've over stayed my welcome. I did come here to tell you I'm leaving town." River announced.

"What? When? Why?" They asked but Jacob's voice louder than others.

"Leaving. Tomorrow evening. I'm college hunting. I won't be back in a few months." River said.

"What about the red head?" Jared asked.

"If anyone can catch her, protect Bella and Charlie, it's you." River said.

"We're gonna miss you." Emily said before hugging her.

"Me too but I won't be gone long." River said hugging Jared and Embry.

"Bye." The pack said.

River waved at them,"bye." She opened her door.

                                                         •••

"Have you told Charlie?" Bella asked as she stood by the door River's room.

"It was a last minute decision. I'll tell him." River said as she started packing.

"Are you really college hunting?" Bella asked suspiciously.

River stopped to look at Bella,"No."

"Where are you going?" Bella said unsure.

"Alaska. If I don't find what I'm looking for there than I'll move on somewhere else."

"What exactly are you looking for?"

"Bella, I don't know." River said pacing around her room, packing her stuff.

"Victoria is still out there. What if she hurts you trying to get to me." Bella tried to reason with her.

"Don't worry about me. I can handle Victoria. And if Victoria decides to attack you, Alice will see it and...." River faced Bella,"try not to worry, the pack are the best, they can protect you and Charlie." River said.

"Oh well I hope you find what you're looking for." Bella said before turning away to leave.

"Thanks." River shook her head,"one more thing. Stay out of my room when I'm gone." River warned.

Bella smiled as she nodded,"when will you be back?"

"I don't know. Possibly graduation, maybe." River said hanging her bag over her shoulder.