Chapter 26

I sit at the back of the jet, alone. Emma is safe. Trish is safe. The unsub is in custody. Elle brought him in. Hotch hasn't let me out of his sight since the phone call.

How did the unsub know?  He was an agent, true. But those files aren't easy to access. 

I fight back the tears threatening to fall. I haven't cried in a very long time. I won't let old memories drive me to it now.

I know I'm broken. 

Now Elle does too.

---

I head towards the elevator, ready for the weekend. The team tried to comfort me after the phone call but soon realized I wanted to be left alone. Elle hasn't spoken to me in hours.

I press the button and sense her coming up behind me. I consider taking the stairs when the doors slide open. Great. I walk into the elevator and press the button for the garage, Elle standing to my left.

"Can I ask you something?" She breaks the silence as the doors slide shut.

"Sure." It's all I've said to her since I held her in the darkness of that room.

"When he said... you don't..."

"I don't trust anyone?" I finish for her. She stays quiet.

I stare at the metal doors in front of me. "I trust the team. I do." I pause. "But at the end of the day, the only person that's going to be there is me." 

I cast my eyes to the floor, ashamed. Ashamed of how screwed up I am. What was I thinking? Why would she ever have feelings for someone like me? I'm drowning in the silence. 

Her voice saves me.

"I'll be there."

I look over at her. She's staring right back, her eyes meeting mine with intensity, a sad smile on her lips.

We stand still. So close, but the distance threatens to tear me apart.

The doors slide open and I force my gaze away. "Goodnight, C," she says softly as she heads towards her car.

"Elle." My voice stops her in her tracks. "You're good enough. You'll always be good enough."

Her smile is full of pain as she turns away.

----------------------------------

a/n
this is short and depressing sorry
and just a heads up i wrote a ton of chapters and will be updating pretty much everyday this week, enjoy the spam!!
and (again) thank you thank you so much for all the love <3<3
:)