Chapter 61

"It doesn't make any sense," I complain for the thousandth time. "What the hell does he want with us?"

"To ruin our vacation," Elle mumbles. She's lying on the sofa of the conference room, her gaze on the ceiling.

Morgan tosses the file onto the cluttered table. "We're getting nowhere."

It's true. Yesterday, we found our murderer from Jamaica on the floor of an apartment with a sword in his chest. Turns out he was hired to commit the crime. Along the walls the recurring message, "Save Her", was written in his blood. I found another message on the blade of the sword which led us to a music box hidden in the wall. Reid recognized the lock and opened it with his key. We also found a sample of hair and a DVD recording.

We might have a lead on who "she" is. A young girl that's bounced around the foster system her entire life. But this case is a mess. The unsub is leaving us puzzle pieces, clues, almost as if he wants us to solve the case. He thinks it's a game. The DVD he gave us is a video recording where he explained the one rule of his "game". We are not allowed to tell anyone about the case and outside help is not allowed. Gideon decided we needed the help of the press so he sent JJ to host a conference. We don't know yet what the consequences will be.

Hotch enters the room with Reid, Gideon, and JJ. I haven't seen Garcia yet. Morgan told me that she's blaming herself for the hack. I want to comfort her but I haven't had the time.

"We found her. Rebecca Garner," Hotch informs us. "JJ and Morgan, I want you to head out and speak to her foster parents. The rest of us will work the case from here." Morgan nods and leaves the room with JJ.

"What's the unsub's connection to this girl?" I ask.

"We're not sure yet," Reid says as he examines the file in his hands.

"Hopefully Morgan and JJ will find something," Elle sighs.

Hotch nods in agreement. "You two, hang tight until they come back," he tells me and Elle. "Jason, Reid, come with me."

The three of them leave the room, leaving me alone with Elle. I walk over to her and kneel down beside the couch where she still lies.

"You should get some rest," I mumble into her ear. She hasn't really slept since Saturday night, and then only got about an hour. Now it's late Monday morning and we're both exhausted.

Elle breathes deeply, closing her eyes. "Join me?" she whispers.

I smile and lean forward, my lips brushing her temple. I turn and lean my back against the couch. She rolls over to her side, putting one hand on my shoulder. My skin warming at her touch, I allow my eyes to close.

---

I wake up as someone kicks my foot. "I'm awake," I blurt out as I open my eyes.

Hotch looks down at me. "The floor? Really?"

I yawn. "Elle took the couch."

Hotch glances at Elle, who now sits on the couch with her elbows resting on her thighs. "You two should go home," he decides.

I stand. "No, Hotch, you need us here."

He shakes his head. "There's not much we can do until we hear from Morgan and JJ. Go home, get some sleep. You can't help us if you pass out."

Elle stands beside me, resting one hand on the small of my back. "We'll go, Hotch."

"I can get a driver."

"It's okay. I got a whole hour more than her," I say with a sideways smile.

"Be safe."

"We will," Elle promises. "And call us when you have something."

---

We ride in silence, mostly due to the fact that Elle is struggling to keep her eyes open. I keep one hand on her thigh and force myself to stay awake. I glance over at her every so often. She's still wearing my jean jacket, her hair falling around her face. Her head tilts back against the seat and her eyes are closed. Her necklace rests on her chest, the gold sun rays shining. I rub my thumb across her leg and she puts her hand over mine.

When we get to her apartment we leave our bags in the car, not bothering to spend the time and energy to bring them in. I follow her inside and shut the door softly behind us. She strips her holster off and drops it on the coffee table.

She's turned away from me so I step behind her, wrapping my arms around her tightly. She sinks into the embrace and sways on her feet, trusting me to hold her up. My lips brush her neck. She rolls against my chest until we're facing each other.

"Stay." Her lips brush my collarbone as she speaks.

"Elle, we actually need to sleep."

I feel her smile against my skin. "I know."

I pull away, keeping my hands on her hips. I lean in and kiss her softly. Her tongue slides across my bottom lip as her hands hold me close by the back of my neck. I'd love to stay, to fall asleep with her head on my shoulder. But I need a shower, some fresh clothes, and my own bed for at least an hour.

When we break away for air I draw her into a tight hug. "I'll be back soon, okay?" I whisper into her hair.

"Okay."

I finally let her go and turn to leave. With one last glance over my shoulder, I close the door. I take the first few steps down the stairs but glance back. Maybe I should stay.

My eyes catch a flicker of movement from inside. There's a window in her door, covered by a curtain. I see a shadow pass over it and my heart skips a beat. It's too big, too misshapen to be Elle.

Carefully, I climb back up the stairs as my hand pulls my gun from its holster. I reach for the doorknob and twist it slowly. I burst into the apartment, my weapon raised.

I freeze at the sight before me. Elle sits at the window seat, one hand held out in front of her. A hunched over, misshapen man in a black coat and gloves stands before her. With a gun aimed at her chest.

He stops talking as I burst in. "Drop the gun." My voice is fierce.

His hand shakes with rage. "There are rules! Rules must be followed!" he shouts.

"Drop the gun!" My voice rises in anger and fear.

"Rules!"

Two gunshots ring out, the sounds reverberating through the walls of the room.

---------------------

a/n
GUYS i was writing this and finally got to THE PART and my computer DIED
i got mad lowkey
anyways sorry in advance
ALSO 1K VOTES holy crap tysm
:)