Chapter 34

Thursday comes around quickly. There were no team cases this week, and I spent my days alternating between solving my own cases and watching Elle. She really is beautiful.

Word got around the office of our sparring match tonight. All day I've sat through Morgan commentating on something that hasn't even happened yet. Thankfully, I convinced them not to stay and watch.

5:00 comes and goes but we're still working on cases. Around 6:30 I approach her, sitting on her desk. We're the only two left in the office, besides Hotch. "You ready, Greenaway?"

"To kick your ass? Hell yeah." She stands a few inches above me.

I shake my head at her confidence, a smile playing across my lips. "We'll see."

---

The timer rings, signaling the start of the first round. Neither of us wear gloves and we're both barefoot. We've agreed on light contact and grappling. "Alright, let's do–"

Before I finish she punches me in the face. "You talk too much."

I block her next two strikes and counter with a hook to the temple, hitting her lightly. The force knocks her backwards. 

"You love it when I talk." I flash a smile. We go back and forth, tagging each other with strikes, for the first minute and a half. Once I see the opening I reach in for the takedown.

I wrap one arm around her waist and flip her over my hips, landing with her beneath me. I gain mount and pin her arms. I smile, about to say something cocky. Before I can even get a word out she grabs my right leg and thrusts her hips. She rolls me over so she's sitting between my legs. I wrap my legs around her, locking my ankles together. My knees press into her sides as she pushes down on my thighs with her elbows, trying to get me to loosen my guard. I smirk stubbornly as I refuse to give her an inch. The buzzer sounds and I finally let her go. She pulls me to my feet by my wrist.

"Draw." I hold my hand out. She just hits it away and puts her fists up, waiting for the next buzzer.

---

We go on like this for the next five rounds. By round seven, we're both noticeably tired, our strikes slower and our footwork heavy. There's only thirty seconds left and we're both still standing. 

She feigns a jab and then comes in for a right hook. I step sideways into her, wrapping my arm around hers, high above the elbow. At the same time I move for a thrust to the ribs with my right hand. She grabs my wrist, cutting off the strike and forcing me even closer.

We stand still, our arms tangled and our chests pressed against each other. Her breath puffs across my cheek. I stare into her dark brown eyes, trying and failing to remain focused on the match. Her gaze flickers to my lips, to each of my eyes. My head tilts closer to her, my eyes on her mouth. She bites her bottom lip. I look back at her eyes, then her lips, leaning in. So close to discovering what she tastes like, so close to–

The buzzer's shrill beep echoes throughout the empty room. I turn my head to the side just before my lips meet hers. It's silent once again. "I, uh, it's late. I–I should go," I manage to get out as I head towards the timer mounted on the wall and shut it off. I walk past her to the locker room, sensing her following me.

I lean over a sink and splash cold water on my face. I grab a towel from my bag and dry my face before wiping the sweat from my neck, arms, and chest. We clean up in silence.

A few minutes later she breaks the spell. "Carli? Can we talk about that?"

I stare straight ahead at the wall. "Sure," I reply as I grab my bag. "You drop your left hand when you go in for a right hook." I move to walk past her but she grabs my wrist, then immediately lets go.

"That's not what I meant."

We both turn to face each other. The lighting is dim, the source a single panel in front of the door.

She gazes into my eyes with intensity. "This can't happen."

"Nothing's happening," I whisper, meeting her stare.

"And nothing can. Our job, our lives–it's dangerous. Not to mention against strict policy." I can hear the strain in her voice as she fights to keep it steady.

I take a deep breath. "I can't ignore it, Elle. Believe me, I've tried." My eyes flicker away for a moment and then back to hers. "But I can't." My voice breaks on the last word.

We stand in the dark with nothing but the sound of our labored breathing and beating hearts. I can see the pain in her eyes and know it's reflected in mine. Without another word, I walk out the door, forcing the emotions back into the little box in my heart. Hiding them from everyone. 

Even me.