Chapter 69

The following week, I'm in the conference room of the town's local precinct when my phone rings. I smile when I recognize the number as Elle's.

"Hey," I answer with a smile.

"Hey," she says lightly. "Can I ask for a favor?"

"Always."

"Do you think I could head over to your place? Just until you get back from the case," she adds.

My smile falters. Last night was her first night alone since getting hurt. I was worried about leaving her at her apartment but she promised she'd be alright. She sounded okay when I called her this morning. "Yeah, of course. Ask at the desk for them to let you up, I'll call to let them know.

"Okay. Thanks, C."

"Is everything okay?" I try to hide the concern in my voice.

"Yeah, I just... need a change of scenery." She sounds tired.

"I'll be home tomorrow night at the latest," I tell her.

"Good. I miss you."

The smile returns. "I miss you too. I'll call tonight, okay? Love you."

"Love you too." Those words never fail to send chills through me.

I hang up, a small smile still on my lips.

"That Elle?" Morgan asks from the doorway. I didn't even notice him standing there.

"Yeah."

Morgan smiles at the goofy grin on my face. "I think you like her."

"We're just friends," I joke.

He laughs, coming around to my side of the table. "Whatever you say, D'angelo."

────

"Elle?" I call as I enter my apartment.

"Hey." She's lying on the couch with the tv on.

I drop my bag near the door and walk over to her. She scoots over and I climb onto the couch beside her after kicking my shoes off.

"How was the case?"

"Same as always. How was here?"

"Better than my place," she sighs.

I bring one hand up, tucking her hair behind her ear. "You want to tell me what happened?" I ask gently.

"I just... needed to get out. I could handle it when you were there. But the last time I was alone..." She trails off.

"I know. That's why I didn't want to leave."

She gives a sad smile. "Besides. Your couch is bigger."

I smile and lean in closer. "Valid point." I kiss her softly.

I check my watch when I pull away. It's nearly midnight already. "I'm going to take a shower real quick, I'll meet you upstairs."

"Or I could join you," Elle smiles.

"Elle, you shouldn't be on your feet that long."

"Who said I'd be on my feet?"

I can't help the smile. "Fine, maybe you're not tired, but I am. So I'm going to shower, alone, and then I'm going to bed."

Elle pouts. "You're no fun."

I roll my eyes playfully and stand from the couch. I run upstairs for some pajamas before heading to the bathroom. "Go to bed!" I call as I pass Elle on the couch.

---

When I get out of the shower Elle is still lying on the couch. I shake my head and realize she fell asleep. Smiling to myself, I walk over and slide one arm beneath her legs while the other snakes around her shoulders. I lift her easily and she curls into my chest.

I carry her upstairs and lay her gently on the mattress. I pull her sweatpants off to reveal the shorts underneath before I tuck her legs under the blankets. I step away to go to my side of the bed but her hand grabs my wrist.

"Don't go," she mumbles.

"Elle, I'm going to the other side of the bed."

"Oh," she breathes. She lets go and I smile to myself, walking to my side of the bed.

I pull her Yankees t-shirt over my head before climbing in beside her. As soon as I'm beneath the covers she turns into me, wrapping one arm around my waist. I roll to face her, doing the same. My other hand finds hers beneath the pillows.

I lean in to kiss her forehead, the tip of her nose, and finally her lips. "Goodnight, Elle," I whisper. "I love you."

"How much?" she mutters.

I smile in the dark, preparing a cheesy line. I lean in even closer, my lips hovering above her ear.

"To the sun and the moon and the stars beyond."

────

The next morning I wake up with her arms around me and her head under my chin. I rub her back with one hand, waiting for her to wake up. She does a short while later and kisses my neck. We stay like that for a while, her lips against my neck and my hand rubbing her back.

When we do get up, she heads downstairs to the bathroom to reapply the bandage to her wound. She meets me in the kitchen where I'm making breakfast. She hops up onto the island behind me and watches me cook.

"You could help, if you wanted," I smile.

"Nah, you're doing great," she responds with a smirk.

After breakfast I bring the dirty dishes to the sink. "Stay there a sec," I say to Elle. I run upstairs to my nightstand and grab a small box. When I return, she looks at me curiously. I slide the box across the counter to her.

She takes off the lid and holds up the key inside.

"I had a copy made. I thought... We spend nearly every night together already. And after everything that's happened, you prefer to stay here, so-"

"Carli, are you asking me to move in with you?"

I smile. "Yes?"

She laughs before pulling me in for a hug. "I'd love to. Besides, it'll give me something to do."

I cup her face in my hands and bring my lips to hers. She wraps her arms tighter around me, leaning into the kiss. I slide forward off my stool and step closer. Her knees press against my hips. She kisses me hungrily, her tongue conquering my mouth. One of her hands moves down to my shirt and tugs it up to expose my skin.

"Maybe you should take a sick day," she mumbles into my lips.

-----------------

a/n
ok yeah i had to sneak in something really cheesy but COME ON they're in love

also update: book 2 is officially in the works!!! y'all can follow me for updates 🙃💕
:)