Chapter 49

It's five minutes to midnight and we stand around the living room, talking and laughing. Garcia walks in carrying a tray of champagne glasses. We all take one, waiting for the countdown to start.

Penelope stands beside Morgan and he puts an arm around her. "You ready, baby girl?" he asks.

She smiles up at him foolishly. "For another year or to start it off with a kiss?"

He laughs loudly, kissing her on the forehead. "Both, of course."

I look over at Elle and we make eye contact. I smile at her, the light from the tv reflecting in her eyes. She takes a step closer but pulls her attention away as Garcia calls out to her.

"Anyone special you'll be kissing tonight, Elle?"

I sigh and shake my head. Great, we're back to this.

Elle rolls her eyes next to me but she smiles. "I thought we already ended this conversation," she complains.

"No, we started it, and Carli interrupted it because she knows something."

I turn to face them all and shrug. "My lips are sealed," I say with a slight smirk.

"So there is someone!" Garcia exclaims.

"She's not denying it," Reid points out.

Elle shoots him a glare. "I didn't confirm it, either."

"Just tell us! Yes or no, you're seeing someone?" JJ questions.

Elle smirks. "It's more fun not to answer that question."

I try to keep a blank expression on my face but can't help from smiling. Morgan notices and raises an eyebrow.

"Oh, I'll get the truth out of you, D'angelo," he says confidently.

I smirk. "You can try, Derek."

I turn back to the tv, Elle still beside me. I inch closer, just wanting to be near her. There's another three minutes until midnight.

Another year, and I'm starting it off by lying to my closest friends about our relationship. More and more often I find myself slipping up, taking her hand or leaning in close to her. Sometimes I just want to tell them, let the whole world know. Pull her into me by her collar in the middle of the BAU, kissing her in front of everyone.

And as soon as we parted everything would come crashing down.

I look over at her. She notices my expression and her smile falters, her head tilted in concern.

I give her a sad smile and take her hand for just a moment, squeezing it. I put my champagne glass on the table and head to the kitchen for a glass of water. She watches me walk away.

In the kitchen I grab a cup from the cabinet and run the tap, drinking it quickly. The cold water helps to clear my head.

I glance up as Reid enters the room, walking up beside me. He leans on the counter next to me.

"What's up?" he asks casually.

"You mean besides the end of the year?" The corner of my mouth tips up as I glance sideways at him.

"Is everything okay?" His voice takes on a hint of concern.

I don't answer right away, and he takes it as an invitation to continue. "Because ever since that hostage situation in Texas, you've just been... different."

I turn my body to face him. "Good different or bad different?"

He looks down at me, his head tilted as he thinks.