Chapter 50

My back slams into the mat as she lands on top of me, her knees tight against my ribs and her hips over mine. I reach up to grab her shoulder but she rocks forward, pinning my arms down at the wrist.

The buzzer rings, ending the round. Elle smirks as she leans forward and brings her lips down to mine. I smile and tilt my chin up. Just before she kisses me, I wrap one arm around her neck and trap her left ankle, rolling her to the side. She instinctively locks her legs around me as I try to break through her guard.

"Round's over," she manages through heavy breaths.

"Says who?" I smile devilishly, digging my elbows into her thighs and sliding one leg back. Her guard collapses and I climb through, straddling her stomach. "Now it's over."

She smiles and rolls her eyes. I cup her face in my hands, bringing her lips to mine. She relaxes beneath me as our mouths mesh together and her tongue darts across my bottom lip.

We're interrupted by the sound of a door slamming nearby. I immediately roll to my feet and glance towards the door. There's no one there.

"It was probably down the hall," Elle suggests, still laying on the floor. I look sideways at her before reaching down to help her up.

"We shouldn't kiss when we're here," I sigh as we head over to the bench. We sit close, her thigh brushing against mine. I take a sip from the water bottle before handing it to her.

She takes a long drink before answering. "You can't expect me to be on top of you and not kiss you."

I smile, leaning my back against the wall. It's early March and the weather slowly grows warmer. However, the heat remains on in the building and I'm sweating through my clothes in the hot gym. I grab a towel from my backpack and wipe down my neck, arms, and chest. Elle and I both wear a simple sports bra and shorts.

I look to my right and see her leaning back as well, her eyes unfocused as she stares off into space. Sweat glistens on her chest and abs. Her necklace rests between her breasts, the gemstone sparkling.

I reach up with my right hand and wrap it around her shoulders. She leans into me as my fingers twirl in her hair.

"What are you thinking about?" I whisper into her ear. She doesn't answer for a few moments. I wait patiently.

"I miss you."

I smile and press a kiss to her temple. "I'm right here."

She turns her head and kisses my bare shoulder, mumbling against my skin. "That's the problem. You're always there and I can never kiss you. Or hold you. Or touch you. And it makes me miss my girlfriend."

These past few months haven't been easy. We've managed to convince the team that neither of us are seeing anyone, but we can't do anything to make them suspicious. We always have to be careful, constantly looking over our shoulders when we're together in public.

I sigh, rubbing my hand up and down her arm. "I know. I wish I didn't jump every time I hear a door open when I'm with you."

"What would happen? If we told the team?"

"I'm sure the team would be supportive. Hotch wouldn't be thrilled from a professional standpoint," I point out. "The Brass would be pissed as hell, and don't even get me started on Strauss."

Elle looks at the far wall again, sinking into me deeper. "She would transfer one of us, wouldn't she? Or fire us altogether for breaking protocols."

I sit up as a wave of frustration and determination washes over me. I cup her face in my hands, forcing her to look at me. "I'm not letting that happen," I say confidently.