29

"Explain" I say as we walk through the door of the garage

"I don't know what to say, Kate... It was just a petty crush" He says and i turn to look at him, in the eyes as he walks closer to me and i cross my arms.

"A 'petty crush' that lasted 5 years?" I say

"Yes, Kate, i was stupid and Bella didn't like me and i thought that i could show her how much i liked her and she would share the feeling, but she didn't and doesn't like me and i was over it when you rolled into town in Charlies police car" He says and i sigh, unfolding my arms

"Well, she doesn't seem to think so" I say and Jacob sighs and pulls me close to him and i hug him back. "You promise that you don't like her?"

"I promise" He says as he pulls away.

"I believe you" I say and he kisses my head " I just don't get why she decided to tell me now..."

__________

After the argument that Jacob and i got through, i still decided that i would help to Protect Bella, but mostly my Dad.

The vampires and the wolves took it in turns to stand watch outside of the house each night, taking it in shifts.

Every time we had to take over from the Cullen's, i could feel Bella's eyes burning into my head from the top floor of the house.

Who does she think she is, after everything i have done for her.

Staying with her when she was in the hospital.

Protecting her from the guys who tried to jump her by the book store.

I guess i didn't know her as well as i thought i did, if she tried to split Jacob and i and she thinks that we are risking our lives just for her.

__________

The next day, i come back from my run to find my phone ringing.

I walk over to the fridge and i answer it.

"Hello?" I say as i balance the phone on my shoulder, pressing my head against it as i pull a bottle of water out of the fridge.

"Don't freak out" Jacob says to me and i sit down at the kitchen island as i hold my phone.

"And why would i?" I say, confused

"It's Bella"

"What about her?"

"I asked her to take a walk with me, after my shift guarding her house... She's sprained her hand, Kate"

"How did she do that, and why does it have to do with her taking a walk with you?" I say as i begin to drink my water

"I asked her why she did what she did and she said some things and i said somethings and she ended up punching me in the face" He says and i stop drinking my water, partly because it's empty.

"What!" I say as i get up and throw the empty bottle in the trash on my way out of the house "Where are you?"

"I'm at her house with Edward and your Dad, Carlisle should be here soon"

"I'm on my way" I say as i put the phone into my pocket and i jump onto Jakes motorbike that he left at the pack house.

__________

When i reach the house, i take the key out of the bike and i park it up.

I take my helmet off and i place it on the back of it and i walk up the stairs and into the house.

I shut the door behind me and i turn around, seeing Carlisle rapping Bella's sprained hand.

"Why did you do what you did this time?" I ask Bella as i walk up next to Jacob and he raps his arm around me.

Bella shakes her head and looks at the floor.

"I need you to tell me why you did it Bella" I say, already knowing what happened from hearing Jacobs thoughts, because of the mate bond.

"I thought he was about to kiss me so i punched him, turns out he was just going to hug me" Bella says as she looks up at me and i scoff

"You thought that Jacob, my boyfriend, would cheat on me, with you, after what you said yesterday?" I say and she nods "Bella, what is wrong with you?" I say to her as she looks at the ground again "I know that you love Edward and i know that you would do anything to protect him, that was demonstrated when you jumped in front of him to stop him from showing himself to everyone when he thought you were dead, but don't you think that i deserve that as well, to be happy?" I ask 

"I'm sorry, ok, i just thought that Jacob still liked me from back when we were kids, i was only-"

"-trying to protect me?" I say and she nods "Then talk to me about it, don't try to break us apart by telling me things that i didn't need to know and punching him in the face just because he went to hug you!" I say and i sigh

"I will, i'm so sorry" She says as she looks between Jacob and i

"It's ok" I say as i lean in and i hug her 

She pulls away from me and looks at Jacob as he snakes his arm around my waist again "Sorry for trying to punch you" She says

"It's ok, Bella, i know you were only looking out for Kate" He says and i smile

"How's your hand, then?"

"It was only a sprain, nothing major so it should be healed in about a week" Carlisle says as he walks back into the kitchen, having gone to get more bandages from his car out front.

I nod.

"Well, at least that's sorted before tomorrow" I say and Bella looks at me, confused "You didn't forget did you?" I ask her as i role my eyes.

"Maybe...." She says

"We're graduating!"