Chapter 29: Day of the Departed

Aria leaned against the boat rail looking out into the sea.

"Don't fall in!" her father's voice was heard from across the deck

"I know!" Aria shouts back

"Princess Aria" her top guard Kaname stood next to her "we'll be arriving soon"

"where are we even going?" Aria asks

"the Island of Darkness" Overlord replies walking over

Aria turns and looks at him "the island you were imprisoned on?"

"Years ago the Island of darkness was part of Ninjago, our kingdom the Shadowlands to be exact" Overlord explains "when the First Spinjitzu Master split the land off to keep me and my army imprisoned that Island was the result, our kingdom is what's left of my mark on the world"

"the Shadowlands is our kingdom where our darkness remains right?" Aria questions "the First Spinjitzu Master couldn't cleanse the place of darkness so it was cut off from his part, the Valley of the Lost is the border to keep the light and dark separate"

"mhm" Overlord nods "the Island of Darkness is also where we burry our dead, your mother is there"

"...we're going to visit mama's grave" Aria says sadly

"it's the Day of the Departed, it is appropriate to visit her on such a day" Overlord looks out to sea "we've arrived"

Aria turns and looks at the incoming Island. Once the boat docks Aria and her father walk out, the sun was just starting to set as they walked up the mountain.

"Did you know that the temple of light also has it's counter balance the temple of darkness" Overlord tells her "it's somewhere in Ninjago, it's where you can find yourself"

"the Temple of Darkness.." Aria says

Once the sun was set the two and their guards arrived at a place that was lit up with torches. Aria looks around at all the unlit lanterns.

"Why aren't the lanterns lit?" Aria asks

"These lanterns are called Soul Lanterns, we ourselves don't light them" Overlord explains before smiling at his daughter "the souls of the dead do"

Aria looks at him "so.. if they light up.."

"then your mother's here" Overlord nods "she will light the lantern to let us know she's heard us"

Aria walks up to her mother's grave and sits in front of it.

"Hi mama.. it's been awhile" Aria says "I've been really busy lately, and their's so much that's happened"

The guards stand around watching out for their safety, Overlord stands behind Aria staring at his wife's grave as Aria speaks.

"Me and dad are ok.. he failed at taking over Ninjago" Aria holds back her tears and smiles "how silly right.. to think we could ever beat the ultimate spinjitzu master.. and create our world"

Overlord places his hand on her shoulder.

"we.. want to" Aria says as a tear goes down her cheek "but.. I don't know what to do mama" she begins to cry "I need you.. more then ever.. but you're not here"

Aria stops talking and just breaks down crying.

Overlord bends down "Layla, your daughter's very strong, you should be proud of her.. cause I am"

Aria looks at her dad and he hugs her.

"I am so proud of her" Overlord continues "she fell in love with the green ninja, so I'm afraid we're doomed, but a true Dark Lord's job.. is to keep the balance.. not destroy it"

"No" Aria shakes her head "I will still take this world and make it ours"

"hm?" Overlord looks at her "but you'll have to fight Lloyd"

"I know that but making our world is more important" Aria argues "a world where nobody fears death, where the dead live amongst the living, mama would be brought back to this world as would everyone else including Lloyd's dad.. so I'll do the final battle and beat Lloyd"

Overlord smiles and hugs Aria a bit tighter "that's my girl"

Aria and the Overlord look around as the lanterns around them light up dark purple.

"Mama" Aria says happily

"Layla" Overlord smiles "you're here.."

"don't worry mama" Aria says "I'll win, and bring you back"

---

So I wanted to kinda explain what this all meant. As everyone knows Aria's mother Layla is dead. The Overlord's conquest to take over Ninjago was to create his own world to save his dead wife. The darkness released into the world would allow the dark powers to reach their full intensity and be able to make realms collide.

With Aria becoming the new Dark Lord her vision is the same as her father's, to create a world where the dead's afterlife will be there on earth with their loved ones. They would become ghosts and have the ability to become a solid entity.

They would basically look exactly how they did when they were alive and be able to eat and drink and do everything everyone else can do, except for they're already dead so they can't get hurt or die. That would tip the laws of nature so the First Spinjitzu masters and the elemental masters are there to stop them.