chapter 04.

nostalgia, four

nostalgia, four.
she was familiar-looking

Yang Jungwon walked into school looking like he always did, with an unreadable expression

Yang Jungwon walked into school looking like he always did, with an unreadable expression. Usually he was just lost in thought, but this time he was trying to forget. He wanted to stop his mind from going back to thinking about what happened on the bus.

He'd gotten up oblivious of the day ahead. He'd boarded the bus and instinctively walked towards his usual seat, only to find someone already sitting there. He swore time stopped for a good minute. Everything in him was telling him to keep walking. That was the now-or-never moment most people spent their first seventeen years waiting for. And now he knew why.

The first thing he noticed about her was her expression after seeing him. Soft bangs fell right above her downturned eyes which grew wide as saucers, lips parted slightly in shock. She was familiar-looking. Then the bus jolted forward. He saw her hit her head on the metal pole and get her earphone wire stuck on some kid's backpack. Turned out she was a klutz too.

This wasn't supposed to happen in the first place. He thought he'd made sure of that yesterday night. Clearly, the universe was working against him.

And the worst part was, he knew. He knew full well that she was his soul- ah, he couldn't even say it. He might've just thrown up then and there.

"Jungwon!" someone called, interrupting his train of thought. "Are you coming or what?"

He looked around in confusion, before spotting the Sanheoli High School van parked by the side of the road. Heeseung was leaning out the passenger seat window, an alarmed expression on his face.

"Oh, shit." Jungwon broke out into a sprint towards the vehicle. He was about to miss volunteering activity. Again. The door was opened for him by Sunoo, and he swung his backpack in first before jumping aboard. The van started to move right as he was seated.

"Dude, we called your name like five times before you noticed." Heeseung looked over his shoulder. "Didn't get enough sleep last night?"

"Yeah," Jungwon replied. "Something like that."