chapter 27.

nostalgia, twenty-seven

but he didn't see her

"Are you sure I'm allowed to be here?" Han Yebin whispered to Tan Xiaohui, who was currently guiding her through the Sanheoli High School corridors

     Yebin started to regret agreeing to her friend's plan, which was to watch the Taekwondo tournament Jungwon was competing in. Xiaohui insisted he'd be more than happy to see her there, and so Yebin took the bus from Haean to Sanheoli for the first time in her life.

     But she was starting to feel uneasy at the stares the other students gave her. At first she thought it was her Haean uniform, but it seemed deeper than that.

     "Yebin, it's an open tournament. Anyone can watch," Xiaohui said, slinging an arm around the girl. "Besides, don't you want to see the look on Jungwon's face when you surprise him?"

     Yebin shrugged. "I don't know, won't it be awkward after last night?"

     Xiaohui shook her head. "He made an effort to watch your soccer game. Think of it as returning the favor."

     She has a point, Yebin thought. She cleared her throat and looked down awkwardly as they passed by a group of girls who gave her a side-eye.

     "Is there something wrong with how I look today?" Yebin asked.

     Xiaohui put her hands on her friend's shoulders turning them to get a good look at her. She adjusted Yebin's glasses, but hummed in surprise when she eyed the girl. "Baby, you're glowing! Did your sister do your hair?"

     Yebin smiled sheepishly, touching the space buns on her head. "She did everything."

     "You look great. That's probably why they're staring." Xiaohui pulled Yebin along to continue walking, before tilting her head in realization. "Or maybe they recognize you from that SNS post."

     "What?"

     Xiaohui pulled her phone out, showing her a picture that Sunoo posted. It was the eight of them from the dinner last night, with Yebin holding up a rock-on sign, her eyes closed. Jungwon was sitting next to her, looking at her with a lopsided smile. Yebin grimaced, they were probably already tipsy at that point.