chapter 24.

nostalgia, twenty-four

way to go, keep

"Alright, everybody huddle up

"Alright, everybody huddle up. Haean hasn't lost a soccer game in ten years, so unless you want to be the disgrace that breaks our victory streak, the only option is to win. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," the entire team said in response, already used to their coach's wacko pep talks.

"So, what I'm saying is," the man continued. "I don't care if you win or lose, as long as you don't- you know, lose."

Yebin exchanged silly looks with Go Taeri. They raised their eyebrows at each other, stifling their laughs to focus on their coach's words. That was how they'd always been, teammates since the start of freshman year. Taeri was a forward, and was Haean's star player, actually. And while Yebin held one of the most important positions on the team- the goal keeper- let's just say that thanks to her team's strength, she barely had to do anything at all.

Yebin didn't mind. After all, the only reason she'd joined was for athletic credits and some semblance of physical exercise. No one needed to know that though.

"And one last thing," their coach said, sighing when he laid eyes on Yebin's pleading stare. "Try not to let the ball get to Yebin."

"Yes, sir!" they all chorused, but Yebin's voice was the loudest, even pumping an enthusiastic fist in the air. She couldn't agree more.

The team of eleven walked out into the field, taking their places as they waved to the people in the bleachers. Yebin smiled, despite knowing that she knew no one in the audience. She preferred her friends and family not to watch her get embarrassed anyway. But things hardly went how she preferred them to.

"Go, Yebin!"

The girl looked up with wide eyes, trying to find the person who'd shouted her name. She swore her heart stopped working when she caught sight of Jungwon in the front row, sending her two thumbs up and a smile.

'Holy shit,' she thought. 'This can't be happening.'

It had been nearly a week since she last spoke to him, and she was grateful for that. She was just recently reminded of how it felt like to have a crush. She hadn't even come to terms with the giddiness, or the way she'd forget how to speak and act properly. This was definitely not the place for her to see him right now.