chapter 06.

nostalgia, six

nostalgia, six.
a lot more volunteers

"There's no way I can reach that!"

     "I know." Huening Kai snickered, glancing down at Yebin with a taunting look in his eyes. She knew he was making fun of her height.

     Yebin looked around for ladders, which were all being used by the other students. She'd finally finished working on the welcome banner, and now had to hang it up on either end of the stage.

     "You do it then." She crossed her arms at Kai, who shrugged before trying to reach the stage curtain rod. Even he wasn't tall enough.

     Yebin stifled a laugh, and Kai rolled his eyes before crouching down, patting his shoulders. "Get on, shortass."

     With a happy smile, she grabbed the banner and climbed on his shoulders. She made it to the stage's height perfectly, and began sticking it on. Kai would jokingly pretend to stumble and drop her every now and then, resulting in a series of hysterical panic-stricken expressions on her part.

     Just then, the doors of the gym opened and in walked the last person she wanted to see. Him.

     She didn't hate him. She was just- mildly frustrated. There was never a day that went by without her seeing him, and neither did a day pass without him blatantly ignoring her.

     She didn't know what she was doing wrong. She stopped trying to approach him after the first few attempts, but even then he avoided her like she had a virus he didn't want to catch. She couldn't share her frustrations with anyone here either, as the only people who knew about him were Xiaohui, her sister, and her grandmother.

     But today was different. He walked in with Heeseung and Sunoo by his side, along with four other boys she didn't exactly recognize.

     "Yah!" Kai shrieked. "What are you doing up there?"

     "Sorry!" Yebin turned back to the banner. "Got distracted."

     Not even a minute later, she heard herself being called once again. Choi Beomgyu was staring up at her. "Hey, can you document festival?"