chapter 45.

nostalgia, forty-five

only eighteen

Yang Jungwon was feeling a little different today

Yang Jungwon was feeling a little different today. A year older, perhaps? He was never one to make a big deal out of it, but when they shared the same birthday, he just had to. She was definitely something to celebrate.

The boy jogged up to the front porch, ringing the doorbell and clasping his hands behind his back as he waited. His breath hitched as Han Hajoon opened the door, a blank look on his face.

But the man only cracked a smile, patting him on the shoulder. "Oh hey, son! Come on in, Yebin's just getting ready."

"Thank you, sir." Jungwon walked inside the house as instructed, no longer feeling as nervous as before. Over the past few months, he'd visited Yebin's home enough to get to know her father and grandmother. He liked to think he charmed them perfectly.

"Good afternoon, halmeoni," Jungwon greeted the elderly woman, who gave him a small smile from the chair she was seated in.

"Afternoon, Jungwon. Happy birthday."

"Is something wrong?" Jungwon inferred from her tone.

"No, dear. It's nothing." The woman sighed. "It's just that- the year's coming to an end. I have this strange feeling..."

Jungwon knew what she was talking about. "Ah, don't worry, halmeoni. All that stuff about the wish was over a long time ago."

"Yes, but it never really came true, did it?"

Jungwon simply shrugged. "Maybe we got lucky."

The woman paused, before nodding. "You're right. You two should just have fun."

Jungwon smiled, about to respond when they heard someone shuffling down the stairs. He then watched as Han Yebin practically skipped through the doorway. She was wearing a beanie on her head, along with a wool knit sweater, some baggy jeans, and a massive scarf around her neck that even covered her chin.