chapter 54.

nostalgia, fifty-four

the sun doesn't talk

After the group decided to use the tents as soccer goals, the only thing left to do was decide teams, which they finalized through a game of rock, paper, scissors

After the group decided to use the tents as soccer goals, the only thing left to do was decide teams, which they finalized through a game of rock, paper, scissors. Sunghoon, Haruto, Sunoo, and Jay were on Yebin's team, while Xiaohui, Jungwon, Heeseung, and Niki were on Jake's. Before the match began, they huddled up on their respective sides like they would in a real tournament.

     "This isn't fair." Sunoo sighed. "The other team has all the athletes."

     Sunghoon grinned. "Calm down, guys. You have me."

     "Great, and we have Mr. Conceited."

Yebin laughed along with the others a Sunghoon glared at Sunoo, before shaking her head and swinging her arms around Jay and Haruto. "Okay guys, let's have fun. It's just a game."

"Just a game?" Sunghoon asked incredulously. "Yebin, no."

Yebin listened with wide eyes as Sunghoon explained their supposed strategy, sounding like her coach. She whispered over to Jay, "When did he get this good at soccer?"

"Probably since Xiaohui became the competition."

Yebin nodded. "Ah, that sounds about right."

"I'm glad I'm on your team, though!"

"Of course." Yebin beamed at Jay's words. "You're my favorite, remember?"

Jay blinked, and Sunghoon burst out in laughter after overhearing. Jay elbowed him in the ribs. "Quiet. It's character development."

On the other side of the "field," more or less the same scene was taking place. Jake patted his teammates backs with a wide smile. "Alright, take it easy, guys! It's just a game."

"Just a game?" Xiaohui asked incredulously. "God, what kind of team captain are you?"

Jake could do nothing as Xiaohui ran her mouth off, presenting their action plan with terms he'd never heard her use before. They'd been classmates for years but he was pretty sure she knew nothing about soccer. After a convincing and slightly frightening pep talk, she clapped her hands together.