chapter 26.

nostalgia, twenty-six

a night and its aftermath

Yang Jungwon and Han Yebin were definitely not themselves, but they didn't know that as they sat at the edge of the sidewalk, laughing away

     Jungwon turned to the girl. "What's so funny?"

     Yebin paused in between giggles. "I don't know."

     "I don't know either," Jungwon said, and they bursted out into laughter again. "Do you think we're drunk?"

     "Dunno. I've never been drunk before." Yebin shrugged.

     "Me neither." Jungwon sighed, before looking down at their arms. "Why are our arms linked?"

     "Oh, sorry." Yebin pulled her arm away. "Do you not like it?"

     "I don't really like touchy people," Jungwon admitted, sliding his arm back into hers. "But you're okay."

     "Thanks."

     "You're welcome."

     They stayed quiet for a while, their dizziness turning to exhaustion. Their laughter died down, but they were far from sober.

     Yebin yawned, shifting her eyes from the sky to the billboard several kilometers away. It was Nam Joohyuk's perfume advertisement.

     "He's so handsome." She sighed longingly. "I wish I had a boyfriend like him."

     "Like him?" Jungwon furrowed his eyebrows as she pointed at the billboard. "What about me?"

     "I mean, I like you too," Yebin said nonchalantly. "But I don't know if you like me back."

     Jungwon frowned. "Of course I like you. Isn't it obvious?"

     "Huh." Yebin tilted her head. "I didn't know that."

     "I didn't know either." Jungwon shrugged. "Do you think we'll remember this?"

     "Dunno," Yebin replied. "Probably not."