chapter 44.

nostalgia, forty-four

feels like home

Han Yebin once said that she'd rather drown before willingly putting herself through a confrontation, and she stood by that statement as she walked up to Go Taeri's front door

Han Yebin once said that she'd rather drown before willingly putting herself through a confrontation, and she stood by that statement as she walked up to Go Taeri's front door. Then again she was finding it hard to breathe at the moment, so that 'would-you-rather' was pointless, really.

     The girl had sent both her friends a heads-up, asking them to meet her at the front door. Yebin didn't tell them what she was going to say, and honestly, she didn't know either.

     Soon, the door opened to reveal both Taeri and Micha, dressed in matching pajamas for their sleepover. Micha glanced at Yebin, shock flashing in her eyes before she masked it with a smile. "Hey, we- didn't think you'd show up."

     "Of course you didn't," Yebin said with a scoff. "I've been letting you guys push me around since day one."

     "What are you talking about?" Taeri laughed.

     "Do you wanna know what this is?" Yebin pulled out the boarding pass from her pocket, raising it up for them to see. "This is what my mom thought of after finding out about me and Jungwon through an anonymous text. I almost moved to Seoul. Does that make you happy?"

     Micha sighed. "Yebin, that's awful, but what does this have to do with us?"

     "You bitches took the picture!" Yebin exclaimed out of frustration, catching the girls off-guard.

     Taeri was quick to deny, but upon seeing the certainty on Yebin's face, she crossed her arms instead. "And where's your proof?"

     "I don't need it." Yebin shrugged. "The fake friendship we've had for the past two years is evidence enough."

     "How long have you guys been waiting for this moment? I may be slow but I'm not stupid. I saw the team having dinner in the background of the pictures taken that one night. You know, the one you told me was cancelled. I take all that shit from your dad during math class because I don't want to talk back and have it affect my friendship with you. Even those lies about Jungwon's grades- I ignored all of that because I assured myself that you guys were my friends, but you never considered me as yours, did you?" Yebin's voice cracked. "H-have you always hated me this much?"