chapter 50.

nostalgia, fifty

nostalgia, fifty.
exactly like before

Jungwon was biking into the hospital lot when he got the call

Jungwon was biking into the hospital lot when he got the call. Taking his phone from his pocket, he held it up to his ear while keeping his other grip on the handlebar. "Hello?"

     "Son, she's awake."

     The boy nearly toppled off his bike, losing balance for a second as a car zoomed close past him, too close. His heart stopped. They didn't need another one of those.

     Frantically holding the phone up, he pedaled faster towards the hospital entrance and carelessly dropped his bike to the ground as he got off. "Sorry, sir, what?"

     "Yebin's awake, Jungwon. She's trying to sit up right now."

     "Holy shit," Jungwon exclaimed. His eyes widened, realizing he was still on the phone with Yebin's dad. "I-I mean, thank god."

     "Thank god, indeed." Hajoon let out a small laugh.

     Jungwon struggled with his words. "Wait, she's- she's really awake?"

     "Really," Hajoon replied. "I don't know how long she'll be like this, so I'd advise you to come quickly-"

     "I'll be right there, sir." Jungwon hung up after that, running inside the hospital lobby without a care for the people who had their eyes on him.

     He reached the elevator just as it was about to close, murmuring apologies to the other occupants as he rushed in and pressed the button, silently urging the elevator to go faster.

     As soon as he was in front of the hospital room, however, he couldn't bring himself to open the door. A part of him was scared of entering that room. He wasn't ready to face the inevitable, but that didn't matter right now. He just wanted to know if she was okay.

     Han Hajoon was the first to notice the door opening, and the boy hesitantly peered inside. He blinked. "Jungwon? But, I just called you-?"

     "I was already here-" Jungwon said awkwardly, closing the door behind him as he walked in, all cautious. "Sir."