chapter 38.

nostalgia, thirty-eight

promise me

Han Yebin was currently in her room, trying to sleep as she ignored the sound of her phone buzzing with notifications

  It wasn't just Jungwon, as he'd only sent a few before getting the message that she didn't want to talk to him. It was a mix of Xiaohui, Taeri, Micha, and several others. Even Heeseung had tried talking to her. She closed her eyes, covering her ears with her pillow.

     That didn't help. she checked her clock, 10 pm. Closing her eyes again, she desperately tried to sleep.

     It's a school night, she reminded herself. ah, fuck it.

     Yebin wasn't exactly a rebel. But as long as she got back before her parents left her work the next morning, she'd be okay.

  Getting up, she grabbed her coat and baseball cap, throwing them on as she shoved her phone in her pocket. She froze, knowing she'd be heard if she walked down the stairs. Yebin was still on house arrest, and her mother definitely wouldn't hesitate to have her legitimately arrested if she were caught.

  Walking over to her window, she grimaced as she peered out. it was a second-story fall, but if she gripped unto the windowsills properly, she could get down unscathed. Quietly pushing the window up, she swung leg out over the other.

     "I can't believe I'm doing this," Yebin muttered. Everything was going smoothly as she took one step after the other, until she caught sight of a lizard crawl near her hand. The girl nearly yelped, slipping her grip and falling to the ground from a height that thankfully wasn't fatal.

     She looked up at the night sky with a wince after landing flat on the grass. I guess I deserved that, she told the universe.

     Yang Jungwon looked from his textbook to the window, out at the night sky. What he'd accomplished studying, he didn't know. Picking his phone up, he scoffed in disappointment when he saw there wasn't a single message. Not from anyone important, anyway.