chapter 11.

nostalgia, eleven

nostalgia, eleven.
because i love you

It was a beautiful thing to have someone you could tell every detail of your day to, and it's even better when you know they're just there to listen without judgement

It was a beautiful thing to have someone you could tell every detail of your day to, and it's even better when you know they're just there to listen without judgement. How could she anyway, if she knew hardly anything about him?

     Yang Jungwon found himself looking forward to his bus rides from school. With all the different conversations he'd have with a certain girl, they weren't as dull or repetitive as before. In the mornings, they'd stay quiet, but in the late afternoons was when the free talk began.

     Jungwon was picked up first on the way home, and when the bus halted at the stop near Sanheoli High School, he knew to expect her boarding with a smile and a skip in her step. Not that he paid particular attention to her appearance, he was just- you know, observant.

     What he didn't expect, was to hear the crack in her voice as she greeted the bus driver. She turned to head to her seat, and the redness of her swollen eyes was unmissable.

     It was clear she had wiped away the tears, or was blinking them back. Either way, she had been crying, and Jungwon didn't know what to do.

     "Are you okay?"

     Jungwon knew he'd asked the wrong question as soon as the words came out of his mouth. If anyone said that to him in a state like hers, he would have lost it.

     But Yebin only nodded.

     Jungwon furrowed his eyebrows at her. "You don't look-"

     "I'm fine," Yebin said quietly.

     Just as he was about to object again, she looked up at him with sad smile on her face. "Jungwon, you didn't want to talk to me before, remember? It's not like we're friends, so you shouldn't worry about me."

     He had nothing to say after that, as she made a fair point. All they had was a few days worth of loose conversations, and he didn't consider that as friendship. But although it was hypocritical, he had hoped she considered it to be.