chapter 23.

nostalgia, twenty-three

stupid girl

Han Yeori poked her head inside the room

Han Yeori poked her head inside the room. "I convinced mom to take another nap, but I know you're hiding something."

Yebin let out a big sigh of relief, about to make up a new excuse for her younger sister. The relief was short-lived however, when Yeori swung the door open completely, and the force made it collide with Jungwon's head. He winced loudly.

Yeori jumped at the sound, looking behind the door and scoffing in disbelief when she saw who it was. "What are you doing in my sister's room?"

"We're studying, Yeori," Yebin explained, earning an eyebrow raise from the girl.

"Sure." Yeori said skeptically, giving her sister a knowing look that definitely required an explanation from her later. Yebin gave her a pleading look, and the fifteen year old glanced from Jungwon to her before stifling a laugh. "What a nice way to be grounded."

She left after that, and Yebin gave Jungwon relieved smile, one he reciprocated. But it quickly faded. He didn't forget the look on her face when Minjun laughed at her earlier, or the fear in her eyes when she heard her mother's voice.

Jungwon sat back down, turning to her. "Yebin, are you okay?"

"Far from it, that was close." Yebin laughed, before seeing the look on his face. "Oh, you mean the essay? Well, I guess it has potential, you know?"

"No, not the essay." Jungwon said, confusing her. "You."

"Me? What do you mean-"

"I was there this morning, Yebin. Minjun was being a dick and your friends just let him convince you into leaving," Jungwon said.

Yebin shifted her eyes down at the mention of her friends. "Look, don't blame them. They know I don't get offended with things like that."

Jungwon scoffed. "You're right, maybe I should blame you for just giving in and letting it happen."