chapter 52.

nostalgia, fifty-two

too much peace

The struggles of being a new student was something Yebin never had to experience

The struggles of being a new student was something Yebin never had to experience. For eighteen years, she'd lived in the same house in the same neighborhood, and had gone to the same school with the same friends- give or take. But, as she stepped into Haean High School for the first time in several weeks, everything felt alien to her.

     She'd seen it in the movies. All the heads turning as she walked through the corridors, and the whispering that came after that. She didn't blame them, though. If someone had gotten hit by a car on their birthday, she'd probably be talking about them too.

     That didn't make it any less easier, but Yebin tried to make things as normal as possible. After all, she was exactly like she was before. Math hadn't gotten easier, so that was proof in itself. In all honesty, it seemed harder. As much as she tried, nothing seemed to be getting through her head. Maybe it was the aftermath of the accident, or just her brain being its useless self. Deciding it was the latter, she walked off to lunch trying to seem as nonchalant as possible.

     "Thank you so much." Yebin bowed as the lunch lady handed her tray, biting her lip as she balanced it with one hand. Her bright blue cast wasn't coming off anytime soon. Wobbling slightly as she walked, she craned her neck around the cafeteria, looking for a place to sit.

     She sighed in relief after spotting them. "Ah, thank god I found you guys. I thought you were avoiding me or something."

     Jin Micha and Go Taeri exchanged discreet glances as Yebin set her tray on their table, plopping down on the chair across them.

     "Are you- sure you're talking to right people?" Taeri asked. They hadn't spoken in months, not since the confrontation.

     Yebin furrowed her eyebrows, desperately trying to rip open a pack of chopsticks with one hand. "What do you mean?"

     "You made it clear that you never wanted to talk to us again," Micha murmured. "What we did was pretty bad."

     "Oh." Yebin looked up at them, before shrugging. "Well, I forgive you guys."